RCU Forums - View Single Post - Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Navigation Lights

Howdy Scott. Let me say again that was a fantastic demo that you made with your DF! Like you, I too work in the production industry as a DP/camera operator, editor, jib, steadicam and truck owner/operator. I also saw that you prefer nose in orientation when flying. I do too and did from day one. I wouldn't do it any other way. From what I've heard that's one of the hardest things to master. I guess jib work with remote heads have taught me about reverse orientation. On lift off I like to hover about a foot or two over the pad and then do a left or right yaw and perform a high tail corkscrew maneuver just like the big boys! I flew for the first time in direct overhead noon broad daylight yesterday and I have concluded that I am going to have to make a 3 LED array for each fixture because I just couldn't see those things well enough beyond 50 ft even with 3 seperate ones staring me in the face. Did you see my day flight videos with the wing lights? As far as high altitude overhead (300 ft -500 ft) flight, I use the green LEDs as the nose lights firing straight down because it contrasts better with the blue sky especially on overcast days.

I totally agree about that perceived delay of control. I think that may have contributed to my last fatal crash where I was in a perfect 300 ft hover and was trying to bring it back from about 400 ft horizontal and I may have overdone the forward pitch causing the front rotor to tap the frame and disintegrate. Oh, it was just horrific because it was such a long dive!! [X(][:'(] I will post pictures of that traumatic scene shortly. In case you didn't read back far enough, here is my post with the LED info. I am currently using the Princeton Tec Pulsar II for the nose, wing and landing lights. I use their Eclipse II with the strobe for the tail. I also have a variety of colors of the Maxxlights that I am testing.

Related Nav Light Post
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3615334