RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone else love Enya engines?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone else love Enya engines?

I bought my first Enya engine in 1966. I was stationed at Luke AFB, in Arizona and was a firefighter in my regular duty. I worked in the base hobbyshop every other day as a part time employee. We firemen worked 24 hours and then had 24 hours off. This left a fair amount of spare time to fill. Paying for hobbies wasn't possible on our USAF salaries, so I augmented my pay by working part time.

One day, there in the base hobbyshop's display case was a beautifully machined engine, the likes of which I had never seen before. The engine resided in its own beautiful plastic case. It came with an R/C (what's that?) carb and a high compression head, in addition to the stock, low compression head that was mounted on the engine.

Being a hotrodder before joining the USAF, I was familiar with high compression mods and parts for cars. Naturally, after buying the engine, I unbolted the stock, low compression head and then bolted on the high compression head. I had a lot to learn. I mounted this seriously heavy engine on my Top Flite Nobler control line stunt model. At the field, I filled the fuel tank with Fox Missile Mist fuel (25% nitro!). That is when the learning curve got really steep!

Anyway, I have been in love with Enya engines ever since. That poor .29 R/C engine tolerated my mistake of running high nitro fuel with a high compression head in the hot Arizona sun. I wish I still had it today.

Anyone else love Enya engines?

Ed Cregger