Thread: 3w 60? P-40
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 12:29 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: P-40

Originally posted by warbird_1
btw i looked at the zdz line. they look like a nice engine but i stayed away from them simply because of all the extra parts runnnig at high rpm's. i saw distant problems down the road. i believe ,the simpler the better. i went the the 3w line because they don't use chainsaw parts in a machined case . there cylinders are designed for model airplanes and with the reed valves, they made great torque ! i have a 3w-50i on my yellow spitfire and that flys at 109 with a 22x10 prop that prop is to small plus it's not even broken in yet , ron

BTW. IF YOU CHECK THE HP RATINGS BETWEEN THE G-62 AND THE QUADRA 50 , YOU WON'T SEE TO MUCH DIFFERENCE. I HAD A 20X10 ON MY 50 I THINK
Well OK Warbird_1, but I have first hand experience with this engine and like I said, I'm so impressed with this engine and it's performance, I bought anther for the Mustang....

I'm busily installing a Zenoah GT80 w/CH in a Ziroli Corsair at this time. I had a Corsair with a Sachs 4.2 and it did well, but I always hated the huge hole in the cowl for the carb and muffler, not to mention the fact that the engine was offset off center to fit such that i could not use a dummy radial....

The point I suppose I'm trying to make is that there's alot more to selection of an engine for a Warbird than meets the eye....I find that the biggest "turn off" to a gasser in my selection process is whether or not the plugs stick straight out of the head, or not. I get real tired of trying to fit engines in tight cowls because of plugs that are installed 90 degrees to the top of the head.

The ZDZ Single I find makes a good fit in many such designs that would ordinarily be fitted with a G62, Q75, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35628_11468.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	22508