RCU Forums - View Single Post - Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Lastest Video using standard eyecam mount

Below are two demo videos of the DF that I shot this evening about an hour before dark using the standard eyecam mount. The second one has some higher altitude footage and was a scary experience when it came to bringing back the helo from a considerable height and distance. Both demos turned out nicer than I expected and with less vibration than I have been experiencing. The self induced spin in both was intentional to ensure a fast, smooth descent. I have found that vertical or horizontal descents from higher altitudes are more shaky and cause rotor clipping respectively so I am a true believer in laminating the rotors in case of frame strikes. See this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3619343]post link[/link] showing the padding that I'm using in the mount's ball joints.

This demo shows the construction of a new high school and is just some hovering shots to try and maintain a constant position. I did have a monitor but have found that it's not a good idea to alternate back and forth from trying to watch the helo and watch the monitor. Too much can happen real fast if you get locked onto the monitor you actually cant find the helo in the sky for a few seconds and by then something could have happened. I am probably going to check into getting the video eyewear.

Construction Arial Demo
[link=http://161.58.78.36/asx/helo/skylink/rc/CONSTRUCTIONARIAL.asx]Construction Arial Demo[/link]

Once reaching the highest point, my 6 minute alarm (halfway point) went off and it was time to start bringing it back safely. When I began doing that at that height, I heard the infamous frame tapping noise of the rotors. I quickly let the Ti recover the level but was still along way away from the pad. [X(] I realized then that the only reason I was still flying was because I had taped the rotors top and bottom. I would be rebuilding a totalled DF it those rotors had not have been laminated. Once inducing the spin while descending, I temporarily lost orientation of the nose even though I had nav lights. It all just happened so fast and I was at such a distance that by the time I saw the lights indicating the nose, I had overcorrected. I did this back and forth several times and it was a site to behold, those lights twirling in the sky. The DF was pendulating like a leaf out of a tree as it descended. When you're up there, you don't have time to think, if you think, you're dead! Sorry, I just had to say that. Somehow, after wrestling with it for about 2 minutes while spinning and tilting I got it closer, lower, finally stabilized ultimately landing in the palm of my hand. I probably had only a minute of battery left with all that stunt flying going on. I never would have been able to recover without having nav lights to indicate nose orientation. I honestly could not believe I got it back in one piece. What a machine! [sm=thumbup.gif]

School Property Arial Demo
[link=http://161.58.78.36/asx/helo/skylink/rc/SCHOOLPROPERTYARIAL.asx]School Property Arial Demo[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11031.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	368686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65228.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	368687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64373.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.7 KB