RCU Forums - View Single Post - Our First 1/2A Combat Day
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Lou Melancon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Our First 1/2A Combat Day

I'll try to answer the questions and comments:
[ul][*]I do feel like my plane was too heavy. The 2.1 ounce battery, 25 lbs density blue foam, 2 Hitec HS81s and one HS55 all contributed to making it heavy. The 1-1/4" hard aileron stock was also heavy. It could be built to 15-1/2 ounces without too much problem and that would improve its performance.
[*] We weren't able to test all the props on hand as we got started with combat and testing went out the window. We do have the Cox black and grey 5X3s to test as well as some other props. The 5X2.75 KT10 is a glass prop and doesn't flex and de-pitch at rpm, in my testing it turns about 25K on the bench. A Graupner 5X2 which is really at 4.75X2 will easily spin up to 27K+. But, it doesn't matter what rpms they turn it matters how fast and how well they pull. We are hoping to keep the event below 50mph.
[*] I do not know the full specs on the Lanier planes. I believe they have 48" spans. Regarding airfoils, we have tried Clark YH, SD606, and E203, none has yet proved superior. We think at the Reynolds number range we are operating in the shape or planform of the wing makes more difference than the airfoil. Also angle of attack matters, if the plane has to be flown at positive AOA it is much draggier than one that flies on the wing, which means the area and wing loading may be more important than airfoil.
[*] One of the Lanier planes suffered a prop strike, fortuneately behind the spar so it was able to soldier on. TBones from above or below the wing, and prop strikes are going to take out any wing. The Lanier white foam is light, but is flexible. The glass spars and blue foam of the Hat Trick plane make the wing much stronger. The ultimate wing may be one with an EPP leading edge and blue or white foam from the spar back.
[/ul]

I'm going to get one of the Lanier planes this week, and am also building a flying wing from EPP. Will continue testing and publish data.

If you wusses want to fly some combat just tell us when and where.