RCU Forums - View Single Post - Our First 1/2A Combat Day
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Lou Melancon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Our First 1/2A Combat Day

Patrick & Tim,
I was able to order three Norvel .061 AMEs (two CL and one RC) from Mercury Hobby in South Louisiana yesterday. Jules Demarest the proprietor has an enormous selection of engines and parts and sure enough he had some AMEs'. I think he still has some BIG MIGs. His phone number is 985-892-7204.

Hobby People have the AP .061 and it looks like a pretty good engine. We are really trying to keep the VA, Cyclon, Fora, CZ type engines out of it at the moment because their performance is so high. I saw Larry Driskill's prototype 1/2A RC Combat plane fly at the NATs two years ago and it was scary fast. Much faster than I could handle and I suspect there are very few people who could have possibly flown it in combat. It was easily exceeding 100mph and may have been doing 120mph. It was far and away faster than any combat plane at the NATs that year.

I am hoping that either Norvel or SIG has spare parts as I want to order some pistons and sleeves. Is there any other source for Norvel parts that ya'll know of?

TeeDee .051s may also be a viable option. Are they still in production?