RCU Forums - View Single Post - E-Starter prop and power question
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Starter prop and power question

OK here's the skinny, if your carefull with the throttle and stay wit the smaller prop, maybe even smaller than the 2 you have it will work, it breaks down like this hte motor will turn so many revs for every volt you put to it, so higher voltage faster revs, brushed motors only run at about 65% efeciancy so the other 35% is lost in heat, so if you run faster revs you will generate more heat, hence frying the motor. There is a whole formula for amps and volts to determine what will work and what won't. I never asked, is this your first plane, if so good choice. I have to say with the other components your getting I would spring another 30 bucks and get a brushless motor and eleminate this potencial nightmare of figuring out how to control your voltage to not cook the brushed motor. A freind of mine fried a 400 direct drive with a 3s lipo and it is designed for higher rpm than the geared 350. One last thing, if you stay with the brushed motor you need to do a water breakin to it before you hook up the normal battery. If you need to know how just ask