RCU Forums - View Single Post - Adrian Page 1/4 Scale Gee Bee--to heavy to fly
Old 12-17-2005, 07:01 PM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adrian Page 1/4 Scale Gee Bee--to heavy to fly

Well finally finished it but I think it is going to be a hanger queen :-( It wieghs in at 19lbs 12 oz!!! I had to add over a lb to the nose even using a heavy engine and moving the battery pack and reciever ahead. I cant move them any closer as they are already to close to the 12" rule for ignition systems. Part of the problem must be the pilot I put in the cockpit, as that is so far back it really adds to the tail wieght. The wing is 960 sq in so the loading is 47.38 oz/ft. The engine is plenty big enough but I think it will come in way too hot if it flies at all. I spent 6 months building this darn thing! I used super coverite and painted the red on which is simular to what Adrian did. I have no idea what added so many pounds (he claims it should wieght between 12-14. I installed the option oleo gear and the fake engine but they are both ahead of the cg so even though they add about 1/2 lb, I would have been adding more nose wieght anyways if I had not used them.

I checked out the Byrons GB 1/4 scale and it acutally has the same wing area and is rated at 20-25 lbs.

So, with such a high wing loading should I even dare try to fly it? Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Randy