RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate .46 a/c aileron differentials
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate .46 a/c aileron differentials

Speaking of BIG biplanes....

Back before the Aerospace Museum building at the Smithsonian opened, I had the opportunity to work at Silver Hill restoring one of the aircraft that was to be prominently displayed when they had their grand opening. I was tickled to have the opportunity to help and was absolutely floored when I got to Silver Hill. Turns out the Silver Hill liaison for us workers was one of the A&Ps who were restoring other aircraft. He happened to be responsible for the Zero they were redoing. (but that's another story) And he happened to be very interested in models. And I was the only one in the group who cared much for airplanes and history so he and I hit it off great. And he wound up showing me all over the place a couple of times. (but that's another story)

While looking over his project Zero, I noticed a wing rib hanging on the wall. Turns out it was from a WWI Nieport and it had bullet damage repaired with a cigar box sides (but that's another story). Looking at the rib got me curious about some odd supports that were part of it and when I went home I did some research to find out what those "holes" were. Turns out that I discovered a fairly good work on how those old biplanes were rigged. How the stiffiner wires were done and how they rigged the control wires.

Turns out that back then not all the "aircraft designers" knew everything about everything. Turns out that some of their aileron control designs were such that it wasn't odd to encounter accounts of field modifications that were to correct the way some of the planes flew. And it also was almost common to see rigging design that provided adjustments.

There was one a/c with relatively thick profile wing that had the connect point for the wires that moved the aileron within the ailerons. And the connector there was for both the "drive" wire and the "other aileron connection" wire both. And it was adjustable from the CL of the aileron to the top surface of the aileron (and looked like it could be moved even higher, above the aileron surface. Of course, that biplane also had wing stagger. And the drawings showed the connectors for both upper and lower to be at the top surface.

Neither aileron had adjustments that would allow the connect point to be below the CL of either the top or bottom aileron. Not really surprising is it.