View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: STORMER design by Doug Spreng,

Hi Everyone;

Prologue on my STORMER kit;

I checked out both the STORMER and FLATTOP ST. designs published in the AAM magazines described above, and here is what I found. My kit box has no lables or photos on it, simply hand lettered 'STORMER' on the sides and box ends; the plans are badly faded and yellowed blueine and have the name STORMER in the lower rs description box; but are identical to the plans for the FLATTOP STORMER with the exception of hand lettering vs AAMs machine lettering. Also my kit does not have the canopy, simply no room in the kitbox for same. From reading Mr. Sprengs 2 articles, the ships are almost identical with the exception described above wherein the STORMER had a carved fuse top a la torpedo/fish like, the FT ST had a canopy over the wing, and a flat balsa sheet fuse top from wing TE to tail group, for ease of building. The wing section is semi-simmetrical

Attn highplains re Falcon comments above: I noticed in the 5/62 AAM issue above, on pg 15, photo lower rs corner, showing Mrs Beth Goldberg holding a model identified as Mr. Spreng's FT ST, but really is what we have all become familiar with as the Falcon 56; so possibly the STORMER design influenced the later Coldberg Falcon designs, as the airfoils are very similar.

Again, I wish to thank everyone for their helping me ID and research my latest kit find. Research is so much fun, even moreso with the assistance available herein with 'da net'. I have placed copies of both the ST and FT ST articles inside the old kitbox, to aid 'whoever' in the future, should inherit my kit. In closing, only 3 more days to be 'good', for Santa...., Happy Holidays from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.