RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 AM
jamie_duff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Hello everybody.

I've been reading this thread for some time now but last night I dusted off my kit box and pulled out all my modelling equipment. I'm now building the Top Flite P-51 I picked up maybe 7 years ago

First model I've touched since moving into this house in May................

So far I have a fin, rudder, tail plane (horizontal stabilizer to you Americans ) and one wing. I'm going to lay up the spars for the other wing this morning after breakfast.

I have CJM retracts and Robart retractable tail wheel on order. Need to order an electronic gear door sequencer I saw on the web a few days ago and another couple of air cylinders.

I built the TF P-47 a few years ago and as my first warbird it wasn't particularly well engineered (charging jacks etc in un-clever places) so it's currently my most unreliable model. It's due a strip down and rebuild........... It is however a fairly pleasant model to fly, although I've never gotten past the racing heart you normally only get on the maiden flights

Has anyone concealed their control linkages fully? If so I'd be interested to know how you did it, and what pitfalls you encountered. Also, if anyone has used Century Jets retracts have they figured out how much modification is needed to fully retract the gear (I'm having doors). I suspected (and confirmed on Page 1 of this thread) that as designed, the retracts do not allow the use of doors (Because my P-47 was the same, but I didn't have the foresight then to modify it).

All the best, and Happy New Year from Scotland,

Jamie