RCU Forums - View Single Post - Smaller AMA Convention?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smaller AMA Convention?

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I obtained a list of prospective exhibitors for the upcoming Ontario AMA Convention. There looks to be about 60-70% of the amount as at the Jan. 2005 convention.
What amuses me here is that everyone has taken the above estimate as gospel. Unfortunately I do not have the 2005 numbers handy, but a look at the 2006 numbers shows 128 registered exhibitors in 168 booths (1.3 booths per exhibitor), PLUS the new AMA village area that frees up booth space used in previous years for AMA related stuff (about 6 to 8 booths).

If 128 is 60% to 70% of 2005 then that means that there were between 183 and 213 exhibitors in 2005. Seems a little high to me. Could be, but I'm willing to bet not.

More importantly, even if it is true (which it has NOT been shown to be so), is the assumption that this is a reflection on AMA rather than a reflection of the general economy, state of the hobby industry, gasoline (transportation) prices, and so on.

As far as RCX goes, yep they had planes. But they had nowhere near 128 airplane related exhibitors. And let's be real, this it IS a car show primarily. Plus they are a for profit show designed simply to get your money from you. At least the AMA show supports AMA programs. Amusingly, the AMA will attend and exhibit at the show.

But this all means nothing to those that simply want to bash the AMA regardless of facts or truth.