RCU Forums - View Single Post - Smaller AMA Convention?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smaller AMA Convention?

Really had no intention of any "bashing" but since you brought up a few points.

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI
What amuses me here is that everyone has taken the above estimate as gospel. Unfortunately I do not have the 2005 numbers handy, but a look at the 2006 numbers shows 128 registered exhibitors in 168 booths (1.3 booths per exhibitor), PLUS the new AMA village area that frees up booth space used in previous years for AMA related stuff (about 6 to 8 booths).
The amount of floor space being used is what is "bigger".

If 128 is 60% to 70% of 2005 then that means that there were between 183 and 213 exhibitors in 2005. Seems a little high to me. Could be, but I'm willing to bet not.

More importantly, even if it is true (which it has NOT been shown to be so), is the assumption that this is a reflection on AMA rather than a reflection of the general economy, state of the hobby industry, gasoline (transportation) prices, and so on.

As far as RCX goes, yep they had planes. But they had nowhere near 128 airplane related exhibitors. And let's be real, this it IS a car show primarily. Plus they are a for profit show designed simply to get your money from you. At least the AMA show supports AMA programs. Amusingly, the AMA will attend and exhibit at the show.
The only thing the AMA convention/show has supported is the mid winter vacation the EC is taking and the dog and pony show they put on for several days. It is to be noted that the Big Boys of the hobby world will NOT be in attendance. This is not to imply that their attendance would enhance the "convention". They make decisions based on economics not loyalty.

Splintering off the flying from the general hobby and renaming a show a convention for tax reasons just alienates any non flying hobbyists that may have the inclination to try flying more than park models and electric helicopters. At one time you could find all of the RCX distributors at the Northrop's "show". Even water tanks and car race tracks. This is the price the AMA pays for it's exclusiveness.

But this all means nothing to those that simply want to bash the AMA regardless of facts or truth.
Sure thing. Depends on who's facts doesn't it.

There was a time in the early 70's where one could take their wives or girlfriends to the same hobby show as there was a broad spectrum of exhibitors and displays. Most anything that used the word "hobby".

There may be a sufficient flyer base in the SoCal area to keep the AMA convention running along for years. It's obvious from the success of the RCX shows that there is room for "other" hobbies. Now why didn't the AMA figure out that to draw a crowd they had to present what the crowd wants where it wants to go. It's this short sightedness that will doom the AMA to insignificance.