RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which plane am I looking for?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 03:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which plane am I looking for?

DKjens can,t help with your plans or kit search but can offer a few tidbits about the airplane. I beleve the Ducks were the linial descendants of the old Loening OA and OL 'shoehorn' series of the mid twentys mostly Liberty powered but some with radials.
Grumman first produced the J2F duck in 1933 and about 600 were produced through the -6 version which is what I think that photo is. The dash six was not produced by Grumman but Columbia aircraft in 1944 under license from Grumman and in 1945 Columbia developed a rather attractive monoplane version but never got past maybe two prototypes.

In 1975 I wittnessed the only flying example at that time (there may be more now) owned by the Famous TallMantz aviation museum perform an incredible aerobatic display at the Abbotford international airshow in BC. What a beautifull site it was watching that beer belly thing doing big gracefull and oh so slow aerobatics. This is the airplane that was used in the movie 'Murphys War' and the Black sheep series among others.

John