RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 PM
jamie_duff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Hi Bull51, don't worry, I intend to keep the thread going even if no-one else does

I find posting pics up here helps keep me motivated. Not that it's not a great fun model to build!!! In fact TF kits are a pleasure to build

Keep checking in, and keep us in the picture with your build. I'm hoping my retracts arrive soon, and when they do I can progress my wing so I'll post up pics of how I'm doing things so long as people are still interested.

When your own kit arrives, please, please, please heed all the advice written so far and spend a day reading through the Instruction manual and studying the plans before you even think about pushing parts out of their sheets

There's some good pics on this thread which will help you visualize things if you're struggling to interpret the drawings.

I doubt you'll have any trouble if you build to the plans though, they're beautifully engineered kits.

The only thing I'd disagree with so far is joining skins with thin CA. I'm sure there are plenty people who have done this successfully - unfortunately I'm not one of them....

I did it on my P-47 and what I found was that the CA penetrated right through the wood and stuck to the building surface in some places. Not a huge problem, but it does leave hard spots on the skin that are difficult to sand. On this model I've just taken the hit and used carpenter's glue to join the skins. Takes a little longer but I find the quality easier to control that way.