RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
RCMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

I'm really glad to see this thread here. I built this bad boy back in 1995. I started construction in mid June and finished it in November, just before Thanksgiving that year. This was one of the most fun builds I have ever done. It was a lot of work, but very satisfying. I'm glad to hear that my experiences match those listed here: the gear mounts are too weak, the tail wheel mount needs enhancement, 2 cycle engines are too light for this plane, etc. The other things I remember are the sanding, doing the checkerboard up front with paint masking and monokote, mounting the CJM retracts and installing custom functional bomb drops/drop tanks.

Here's what I built:
The TF .60 sized kit
SuperTiger 90
Futaba Radio
1 aileron servo with bellcranks
2 flap servos (standard sized)
2 micro servos on the bomb drops
standard servos for elevator, throttle and rudder
CJM Retracts
Monokote covering

I still have the 4" TF white spinner as well as the display prop and spinner.

What happened to this plane? I killed it on the first flight. The G90 went rich in the air on me and she cut out. A stall and snap ensued and I never recovered. She was totaled. I still have the wing and airframe. They were not repairable, but all the parts are still fine.

I am going to rebuild this baby. I have the kit. I bought it about a month after I put 'er in, but I have not had the time to do it since. I think that's about to change. I need a good build after doing a bunch of ARFs.

Here's what I will likely change:
I'm thinking either a YS 1.10 or an OS 1.20. I'm heavily leaning toward the YS.
I will likely put in two aileron servos
I will still add flaps and do the bomb drop modification
I may glass it

If I can get access to a scanner, I'll post a pic of the model before it's demise, along with a pic or two of the current full-scale "Big Beautiful Doll" I got to see at an airshow at Andrews Air Force Base. Like I said, I still have the plane and will be canibalizing it for parts.

I'll post some pics when I get them.

Thanks for sharing everyone.