RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aerobird Extreme motor upgrade available?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird Extreme motor upgrade available?

You could do a few things while remaining stock. A 7 cell pack versus the 6 that comes with it will work. I home built some 3300ma 7 cell packs for mine. Even the 6 cell 3300ma pack I made gave the motor more juice as these cells are of better quality than the stock pack and can deliver the amps without as much resistance. Another option is to reverse time the stock motor which is real easy. Remove the motor and look at the side near the back. You'll see a white plastic thing with a few notches in it and one or two metal tabs over them. Bend back these tabs and the other tabs that hold the back motor plate in place. Now rotate the back motor plate clockwise so that the plastic slot the the upper tab was resting in is now resting in the lower tab...and bend everything back in place. The motor is timed at a neutral position from the factory. You can do this with most brushed motors that haven't come from the factory timed for reverse (pusher) or forward (tractor) setups.

The next step up would be to convert to standard electronics. Just doing this alone will increase the motor's power and speed as a quality ESC will not waste the energy that the stock board does (stock FET gets hot and often burns out...not very efficient). I didn't reverse time my stock motor (yet), but I can notice an increase in motor performance because of the Electrify (?) 50 amp ESC I'm using with my 6 channel JR RX in it. Also used HS81 servos and converted the fishing line over to plastic control rods. Look for "Installing Standard Electronics In An Extreme" in the park flyers forum where we've been discussing this.

If you want even more power you could step up to a brushless motor and lipos which somebody just did in that forum.