RCU Forums - View Single Post - First flight
Thread: First flight
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First flight

Kzimm...., I have to agree with the guys here too. I have found myself doing 2 major things wrong on nervous takeoffs from water. (1). Hammering the throttle and trying to "YANK" the plane out to soon, causing it to get squirlly before coming off then it wants to tip stall. (2). Holding the plane "DOWN" on the water at above takeoff speed by pour elevator movement. (as in) holding down elev.. Just a tad of down has caused me to push the plane onto the front of the floats, causing it to "again" get squirlly before I applied the rite amount of "UP" elevator.
Now I could be all wet here but I have had more trouble with your kind of takeoff trouble with pour elevator "Input" then I ever have with not having a water rudder. As long as the plane is setup rite in the areas needed to fly from water, then a nice long straight takeoff can be had without a water rudder.

I just tell myself... power up smooth - slow inputs to the rudder - let it run up on to the step - easy back pressure on the elevator. Then smile

Good Luck, I bet you'll be just fine.