RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wow More Ebay Wierdness
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wow More Ebay Wierdness

I think I finally get it. Rarity surely is an issue and though an item be rare, to the "Collector" sensibilities be D****d. I have heard the phrase "An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it." This has some truth to it...Until the Collector comes along skewing all of our senses by throwing large (to most of us) amounts of money raising the value to new heights usually well beyond normal sensibilites.

Quote by dennis :
"Point is that collectors have no real sense of value of an item, they just have to have everything. God forbid that someone might buy the thing and actually build it. That gives them absolute fits."

Thank you dennis for saying this and letting me see the light. I have tried and tried to understand how the collector thing worked and it just simply escaped me. I finally get it.

Dennis, I also must agree that one can build from plans and come up with, often, a better plane than the kit may have been able to produce. The kit merely provided the convienience of shopping for all the different bits and peices ( music wire, brass tubing, sheet wood, stick wood,etc) plus offering some bonuses like molded parts that not everyone was able to reproduce. Things have changed and I feel that the materials and techniques we have can do a fine job. of having the same model without our wallets suffering and shaking in mortal fear.