RCU Forums - View Single Post - WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:09 AM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Going a little off topic, but seeing the crooked fuse made me think of a couple "imperfections" on my SSE build & I have a question for the more experienced builders.

I used CA for almost the entire plane with 2 exceptions.
1. When I glued the W1 end on the first wing I used Sig wood glue becuase I wanted to be precise. I put a strait edge on it & weighted it down & let it dry overnight. In the morning it was all jacked up. & somehow the piece slid around while it dried (not a lot, but noticable). I was able to sand the problems out & use some filler but I CA'd the other side & pushed it with my fingers as it dried & it came out absolutely perfect.

2. Per the instructions I used wood glue when glueing the fuse doubler in & pinned it & weighted it as best as I could & yet again there were several small gaps & I wasn't real happy with the way it turned out. It didn't slide around because of the pins but I couldn't weight the entire piece becuase it was so broad.
On the second side I chose to do the same & tried to find more weights & used twice as many pins & it did turn out a little better. I didn't use CA becuase I think it would have dried too fast & been a little tricky.

I know that what I describe above can easily be chalked up to newbie trying to build a kit, but I really didn't like using the Wood glue because it was more of a challenge to keep the pieces straight while they dried.

Richx1, I hope you can get the fuse straightened out & good luck!