RCU Forums - View Single Post - My beginner's plane - the Air Scout
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My beginner's plane - the Air Scout

Yep, A wing with ailerons is coming up soon, but I have to build a new one for my Texan first.

It Flies!!! (actually last weekend - I forgot to post)
I ran about 4 tank fulls through on the ground to start break-in, then took it out in a pretty stiff, quartering cross-wind. I had some problems keeping it straight through the takeoff roll, but it got up ok. It's actually a pretty fast, smooth little flyer with a .25 in the nose. First flight, I never used more than half throttle(even on takeoff) With the throws I have on the elevator and rudder, it does nice BIG loops, and will do a barrel roll/rudder roll with no problem. Hammer-heads are really nice, and it's got the power to use all of the airspace, doing nice, big, aerobatics. I didn't try any spins or inverted flight yet... maybe next time. Engine quit on the first flight, and landing was a non-event, except that I was too far down-wind, and had to walk a ways to retrieve it(new engine) The "second maiden" flight was really nice, and I got the trim set up a little better. I needed just about two clicks up, and two clicks right rudder for hands-off straight&level flight. Had a nice long flight on the second one, and it didn't quit. The idle isn't quite tweaked right yet, but good enough to taxi back after landing.

My wife took some pictures, but I had the plane way up high for most of that flight and she didn't zoom in the camera in on it, so there's not much to see except lots of blue sky, with a little dot in the middle. I'll try for better pictures next time.