RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 07:44 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Hi RCU'ers,
i just want to know if someone of you have yet tested this engine and what are his oppinion about it?
Is this engine a reliable engine and also dependable?
And how about power?
Thank you for your time!
[sm=sunsmiley.gif]

----------------

After owning (and flying) OS, Saito, YS, Enya, ASP, Magnum, HP and other brands of glow four-strokes, guess what I bought a while back? An OS FL-70. I could have bought any engine that I wanted, but I bought the FL-70.

Why?

Because it doesn't have a piston ring and it uses an airbleed carb.

Not having a piston ring means that it will be "broken-in" within a tank or two of fuel, most likely. No prolonged ringed break-in procedure to contend with. It can be flown-in in the model, although I still recommend bench running if you can afford the luxury.

Airbleed carb. I've owned and used many airbleed carbs over the years (nearly fifty). There was a time when this was the only kind of modern carb that was available. They worked perfectly well then and they work perfectly well now. Saito and others still use airbleed carbs in some of their current engines, so OS isn't alone in this regard.

I love engines and I love to try out new concepts. The OS FL-70 is one such engine. Being an OS, I can be reasonably sure that it will end up being a satisfying engine.

I still buy Saitos and old fashioned OS engines. I just received my Saito 1.25 and I have a Saito .56 on the way. I bought a couple of OS .30 four-strokes a few months ago along with an Enya .53-4C. As you can see, I'm not prejudiced.

Some folks just like what they like and there is no talking them out of it with logic, etc. But that is okay. It is their money they are spending and they have the right to insist upon buying what they want. As do I.

I have done a considerable amount of reading regarding the FL-70. While I have seen a few negative reports, the vast majority have been in favor of the engine. This is by folks that are actually using them. I was impressed with the competence level of some of the young FL-70 users whose comments I've read. They seem to have their act together. I trusted their opinions.

Now to get mine installed in my Funstar 3D and give it a try in the real world.