RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do you suggest the OS FL-70 4str.?

ORIGINAL: William Robison

All:

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees
I continue to be amazed at the folks who feel compelled to give advice despite the fact that they have zero actual experience with the product in question.
I have sampled many late OS engines, and if not disappointed by the quality, then the performance, longevity, or just the price was a nasty shock.

And the FL-70. It is not necessary to sample every menu item at your local greasy spoon to know you aren't going to be happy eating therre. I also stay away from MacDonald's, the average quiality at Burger King is much higher at the same approximate price.

The "Burger King" of model engines can be said to be the Magnum line, and OS, except for the price, is MacDonald's.

As for the price, OS is up there with the Saito engines, but OS does not have the modern design, generally lighter weight, and efficiency of the Saito line.

Another comparison. You may think the Ford cars are the ones to buy. Have you ever owned a Pinto? Even the best can make a clunker.

I do not have to buy an FL-70 to know there are much better engines for a similar price.

Bill.

------------------

I owned/drove a used, worn-out, Pinto wagon for four years. It performed admirably. Never made me walk, always started in the cold weather up North when others wouldn't, and didn't cost me hardly anything to keep it running. I guess it depends upon what you expect from a product. That's why they make both Fords and Chevys.

Personally, I enjoy eating at McDonalds, rather than a restaurant. It's just food. Fill the crevace and go on to do other things. Eating is not recreation for me.

My point is that we all have different values and expectations. I wouldn't condemn an engine without using it and finding it to be lacking first. Yes, you can extrapolate with a fair amount of accuracy when knowledgable, but you miss a lot of surprises in life when you do. Some are very pleasant surprises too.

The FL-70 appears to be pointed to the younger 3D crowd. As such, being low priced while containing useful features for this type of flying is a good thing. Thought most folks wouldn't admit to it, being expendable is a good thing when flying 3D. <G>

Yes, it should carry a lower selling price, I do agree with that point. Maybe it will, eventually, but when you think of the few shortcuts that were taken, I doubt that it will come down much.

Saito started this light contest. Now they have the inklings of some competition. The battle that ensues should be interesting to observe.