RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

If I use pink or blue foam as the base of the design, it doesn't need too many reinforcements and I think that's what I'm sticking with from now on, but for your first foam cutting jobs, stick with the white stuff, it's much easier to work with in this area, the difference of course is it's strength, and I can say, after having to reinforce things after the fact, won't consider it for use in the future personally, at least not in tail areas. In all elements where strength is necessary, ie. motor mounts, elevons, servo/langing gear mounts, etc., I'll use stronger material such as balsa or heavier foam. If you decide to use the white foam, be sure to give it a little extra girth so it's mass makes up for it's lack of strength in those areas and tape potential stress point areas.

Along the glue, plain old wood glue or even epoxy does the job and gives you plenty of time to position things correctly, hot glue is my personal choice entirely because it's really fast, I haven't noticed a big difference between grades of it because it's alot stronger then the foam you are attaching to, the only draw back to hot glue, it doesn't sand well at all, so be sure you get the final sanding complete before putting things together. I also just smooth out overflows from the cracks with my fingers like they do with caulking, keep in mind though, I have calused hands especially in my fingertips from playing guitar and of course building carts and a high pain threshold so the heat doesn't really bother me, I suggest testing some scrap before trying either.