RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 06:10 PM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

ORIGINAL: campbec

Hi Tony et al,

Wow Tony for someone who was a little apprehensive with the kit you have certainly been powering along. I will post some images of my build soon. I have made some modifications to the build that may be of interest.

I added an additional layer of ply to the firewall and epoxied the cut-outs into the supplied second layer. I added carbon fiber rods to the interplane struts leading edge to both add rigidity and a better airfoil. I also added some balsa cross braces to aid the covering process. Like you I was dissapointed with the difference of the aileron stock thickness to the wing trailing edge and I chamfered the trailing edge to meet the aileron. I have built the wings with two servos and have used West resin and glass cloth on the wing centres. Based on experince with my CG Super Chipmunk I have replaced the metal wing bolts with nylon bolts and tapped the thread into slighly thicker blocks, (on the Chippy I find one metal bolt almost always cross threads at the field and takes a few goes to start so I have saved the frustration). I have used Robart hinge points on all surfaces and will go with alloy undercart and larger wheels as I fly of a rough grass strip.

Cheers,

Colin
I was initially worried that the Ultimate would be much a harder build than my SSE, but I can honestly say that it wasn't. Some areas were a little harder, but other areas were a little easier.

I considered adding an extra layer to the firewall but I don't own a skill saw yet so it would have been a mis-shaped block of some sort. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the stock FW.

I went with CA hinges all the way around. It's only my second kit & I figured I'd stick to what I used before on those. I did add an extra hinge on the rudder because 3 hinges seemed a bit weak.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your build.