RCU Forums - View Single Post - Suggested starter planes?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggested starter planes?

Chovy-

I'm a self-taught flyer, and I started with the GWS Pico Tiger Moth, which worked out great for me.

I've never flown a Beaver, but it is supposed to be fairly easy to fly. Something like a Slow Stick is even easier and might be a good choice. I realize you'd prefer a plane the looks like a "regular" one. But ask yourself what's more important: the look of the plane or starting with one that is easy to fly?

For your first flights, you want a large open field and a perfectly calm day. The large open area is absolutely essential. After you have mastered the basics of flying, you will be able to fly in smaller areas, but while you are learning, plenty of open space is the key. I speak from experience. I tried to learn in a parking lot that seemed large. That is, until I tried to fly there! I had little success until I found a big grassy field. Then it was much, much easier.

An ideal location is a big grassy field with a nearby paved area for takeoffs and landings. If there is no paved area, you can hand launch the plane.

There are many planes that can take off from grass, but they are mostly the larger ones.

Forget about flying off the water until much later. It's not for beginners.

- Jeff