RCU Forums - View Single Post - computer Power supply
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: computer Power supply

ORIGINAL: JNorton
While I agree there is additional filtering on the motherboard I've yet to see a PC supply that has a lot of noise or ripple on the 12 VDC output line. These supplies seem admirably suited (cheap) to be used for powering our chargers.

Just my opinion,
John
I agree with John on this one. I use three different surplus computer power supplies in my shop, one rated at 5A continuous output, the others a bit lower. None of my chargers has a problem with these power supplies; an Astro 110D, Schulze 330-6 (or whatever it's called, going from memory), and a Triton. They work no differently than on a battery source, and I don't get errors like I used to on my Astro or Schulze when using another power supply that was not so smooth.

As to requiring a 10A power supply, that is only true if the charger needs to draw that much for the task at hand. If the maximum output is lower and the required input current is less, then as long as the power supply is up to the demand for whatver you are doing it should be fine. However you are of course limiting your maximum charge rate. On the subject of inpout voltage, many chargers do indeed use switching power supplies internally and are therefore not sensitive to input voltage of 12V or 13.6V. That's how you can charge higher voltage packs from 12VDC input.

MJD