RCU Forums - View Single Post - SHRIKE CLUB # 1
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM
tccrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

[quote]ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Tom, this is something you should deal with. On a high speed plane, slop can lead to flutter, which could end up tearing the ailerons apart. Check the aileron linkages for slop and make the necessary changes before you fly.
I've taken your advice and rather than fly it with sloppy ailerons, I went down to the LHS and blew another $40 on two aileron servos. I then cut holes in the wing and installed the aileron servos.
What an improvement!
I've set up dual rates on the ailerons with about two inches of movement and proportional of 20% on the low rate setting, which should make the maiden a lot easier until her flying personality is known. The high rate setting gives nearly 90 degrees movement up and down, I'd imagine that she'd be pretty hard to control with that much throw.
I've left the elevator alone, I've read that the Shrike requires a lot of elevator to get it back on the ground at low speed.
I've programmed in flaperons for experimentation on landings. Depends on how hot she approaches the landings, if it comes in too hot I'll play with 10 to 20% flaps with a little up elevator to keep the nose up. Anybody here played with flaperon landings?
Too bad the weather has turned nasty, otherwise I'd be at the airfield during my lunchbreak. We're getting wind gusts to 50mph and expecting 4 to 5 inches of rain in the next few days, doesn't sound like great flying weather. *sigh*

Thanks for all the advice, can't wait for good weather!

TomC