RCU Forums - View Single Post - another "fly without an instructor" question
Old 03-05-2006, 10:58 PM
rjm1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

I think its funny that people forget that not too long ago, you had to teach youself.

Now that there IS help, people want to FORCE it on you. Its your money. If you want to fly yourself, do it. Alot of people have taught themselves.

If you do crash, you can get either the wing or the fuse for pretty cheap from tower...so its not a huge deal.

I understand his situation, i just soloed today, over a year after i started...and only 6 flights on the nexstar. Timing was my deal as well...and the frustration was definatly there. If i had a place that i could fly on my own, i would have.

I bought a stryker (i dont care what anyone says, this is the best self-taught learning plane out there...its hard enough to fly to help teach good habits, and cheap enough to repair when you need to) and taught myself. I also had already bought G3 and flew on it at least 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or so.

After that, i took 1 trip up on a buddy box, deadsticked way out and brought it in myself..today I soloed. After only 5 times on the box, 3 of which were over a year ago.

IM not saying tell anyone to just go it alone. It seems that he has tried to fly with the instructor, and failed to get the timing right. Hes worked with some difficult to fly planes...and has learned from them.
If he has a way and a place to fly SAFTELY and away from other people or property that he might damage...then he should go for it. He seems competent enought to understand the risk...so dont be so quick to jump on him.