RCU Forums - View Single Post - another "fly without an instructor" question
Old 03-06-2006, 02:14 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

So you went and got yourself a foamie for more stick time.... but you just had to get one (no, three) that is clearly more plane than you can really handle right now. It sounds like you are still at a stage where you need a plane that is a bit forgiving. Usually that means a high wing trainer. Over grass you would probably be better off without the landing gear.

About flying that glow trainer: Let an instructor have a "check flight" with you before going solo with it. That glow plane most likely has more speed, space requirements and potential damage than an electric foamy. Play it safe.

I taught myself on a high wing electric foamy, over a cushion of long grass, without landing gear, after a lot of simulator practice. It worked out OK but I am not sure if it was just luck or a result of a lot of preparation.

Currently I am flying a "pattern style" aerobatic foamy, that I have not crashed for a long time now. The original high wing foamy is still there and I use it as an expendable test tool to make sure the wind is not too hard. The plan is to work up in size, gradually.

edit: just to be clear, this is in response to the first post.