Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

What is the best windy day 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

What is the best windy day 3D

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 08:46 PM
bach939

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best windy day 3D

Hi everyone~

I've gone through the 3D beginning stages with my ex-Pigi 3D. It's fun to fly, but it's not fun on 10 to 15 mph wind days. The last windy flight has turned the Pigi into 5 or 6 small pieces after the lawn dart landing.

I'm looking for a 3D that can handle windy days better than the Pigi did. I have a Mega 16/15/3 motor with a 3:1 gear to power it. What are your recommendations.

Bach
Old 12-18-2003, 08:43 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: What is the best windy day 3D

Unfortunately, 3D planes for windy days is a contradiction in words. 3D planes are inherently light to increase their 3D'ability. Also, most 3D maneuvers are done at a relatively slow speed which again complicates the wind issue. While I can fly my MM Tantrum in the wind, it isn't much fun, and I would not try anything close to 3D in windy conditions.

I would love for someone to prove me wrong because I will buy what ever it is.

Jason
http://www.bugleboy.rchomepage.com
Old 12-18-2003, 09:34 AM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bach939

Hi everyone~

I've gone through the 3D beginning stages with my ex-Pigi 3D. It's fun to fly, but it's not fun on 10 to 15 mph wind days. The last windy flight has turned the Pigi into 5 or 6 small pieces after the lawn dart landing.

I'm looking for a 3D that can handle windy days better than the Pigi did. I have a Mega 16/15/3 motor with a 3:1 gear to power it. What are your recommendations.

Bach

I have been wanting to ask this question but just didn't get around to it. I've done a little research and found some 3D Electrics that look like they handle the wind pretty well. Check out some of the videos @ www.flatfoam.com website. I don't know any numbers but the wind seems to be blowing pretty good and they are handling it damned nice.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 AM
johnny b

Flying in the wind is just another challenge...just like learning to fly 3d.

The wind is like waves are to a surfer. It can serve as a propulsion source Obviously, you don't have the same level of "control" as on a dead day, but playing with the wind is its own brand of fun.

Example--I like to put up non-3d planes like the Bleriot III and Wattage Camel in 15+mph winds. Wing loadings are around 5oz/sq.ft., like many 3D ships. Every seen a Bleriot harrier/hover? Nutty, but fun. You can do things WITH the wind that ADD to the 3d effects of flying an rc plane. How about someone coming up w/some new tricks for windy days?

Granted, I fly in ocean winds w/out a lot of turbulence or cross-winds. You're not going to be doing a lot of tight precision moves in the wind, but a 3d shipts thrust/weight ratio, combined with large control surfaces and some practice can give a good day's flying when others are waiting out the weather.

Johnny B.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bach,

If you can break an EPP foam Pigi 3D, for God's sake, don't get a covered balsa model!

I would suggest that the problem is not with the wind but rather your flying skills. Repair your Pigi 3D and have at it again. Practice makes perfect!

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:37 PM
johnny b

How about the Southern X2? It has a larger wingspan and will do a 3D bag of tricks.

Check out the posts at rcgroups' 3d forum. Mark Roberts makes a short kit of the plane. There appears to be huge interest in this plane, because it can really be thrown around without breaking into bits. Much better than balsa, and better than solid EPP foamies as well.

With the thin sheet EPP foam construction, the plane BENDS instead of breaking. Look at the Sekai video to see him twisting the fuse and wings, then THROWING the plane down steps, without damaging it.

I was thinking about building one, but it looks a little too foamy for my tastes (I'm getting vain with these little electric parkflyers!). But, if you wanted a model best suited for surviving 3d/wind mishaps, this would be the one.

A little too much flex in flight from what I can see in the videos, but the upside is it would be very hard to seriously damage this plane. Just do the prop saver like shown, build like, and fly the snot out of it to get a feel for dealing with stronger winds, then go back and fly the PIGI.

Johnny B.