Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Shockflyer Acc??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
whackinski
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MINI SHOCKY

I went to dinner with some friends tonight and had a few libations. So I came home and didn't feel much like programming so I cleaned the work shop. Just like rain is inevitable after you wash the car, my work bench cant stay clear for long. I grabbed the depron parts I had previously cut for my mini shocky. I also grabbed the digital camera. I snapped a photo of the clock when I started building, 10 minuets till 11 pm. I started by cutting this carbon fiber sheet I just happened to find when I cleaned the workshop. By 12:20 I had the airframe done and the motor mounted. I'll finish it off in a few weeksI will take the tiny servos out of my EDGE and use them on the MINI, I wanted to switch them to HS-55's anyway. I'll have it done soon and let you guys know how she flys.

Whack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	138295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52777.jpg
ID:	138296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80639.jpg
Views:	14
ID:	138297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90437.jpg
Views:	17
ID:	138298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn77287.jpg
Views:	16
ID:	138299  
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 AM
whackinski

A few more shots

Name:	Mk26521.jpg
Views:	14
ID:	138300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73583.jpg
Views:	31
ID:	138301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78597.jpg
Views:	16
ID:	138302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69178.jpg
Views:	20
ID:	138303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11951.jpg
ID:	138304  
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 AM
cmsrp

Default RE: Shockflyer Acc??????

Hey Whack...

Have you seen these prop savers from Aircraft-world? I have been using them for a while now, and I reckon they are the "Bee's-Knee's"...
There are different sizes so should fit the Nippy too

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...+prop+adapters

Name:	Tr49741.jpg
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	138334  
Old 06-01-2004, 07:12 AM
whackinski

Thanks for the link, I wonder what the shipping costs from Japan to the east coast of the U.S. The prices look great, and they have a great variety. I may try to machine a copy of that.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:15 AM
HLC-RCU

$2.50 anywhere in US. Great service.

ORIGINAL: whackinski

Thanks for the link, I wonder what the shipping costs from Japan to the east coast of the U.S. The prices look great, and they have a great variety. I may try to machine a copy of that.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 AM
cmsrp

$2.50 anywhere in US. Great service.
Actually, it's $2.28 anywhere in the world!!!!!!!!

I have recieved stuff in 3 days from them!!!!! Although about 7 days is the norm...
The way the dollar is at the moment, I get nearly all of my stuff from them. Only carbon rod and depron I get locally...
Old 06-01-2004, 07:53 AM
whackinski

Dude that is awesome, I'm getting an order together later today, I have to crank out 8 to 10 hours of studying first.

Whack
Old 06-01-2004, 11:30 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Default Rprop adapter

I got something very similar from Hobby Lobby when i ordered my AXI.

A friend stole it Saturday though to experiment with his GWS as it fits that shaft too. he breaks props in very spectacular ways. We have yet to see if this will help.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap.htm
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 AM
whackinski

Default RE: Rprop adapter

Wind what do you think about the Stringfly Mini ShockFlyer? assembled in under 2 hours. I will never pass C++ with all this foam and glue around![:@]

Whack!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 AM
wind junkie

Cute little mini shockie you have there!

isn't it great how you can lay these planes on top of all the tools without worrying about them getting dented.

No need to ever clean off the bench this way. Well, almost.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:38 AM
whackinski

If you notice the Gulliows rubber powered plane in the background, I may be converting that into RC soon. I have a snow globe car, I'll take the guts out and use it on the plane. I have already harvested a beeper motor from my old pager, I think it's a safe bet they wont come back in style!

I have old Cell phone to disassemble too. I feel like a kid again taking things apart for my own misguided purposes.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:42 AM
whackinski

I have so much crap on that table you would think I was setting up for a yard sale.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:43 AM
wind junkie

You sound like my project lead here at work. He came to one of our weekly indoor fly ins, and after the demo he said he was psyched to start harvesting lots of little electronic gadgets to tinker with like he did as a boy.

so many planes, so little time.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Cactus.

that .2mm plastic of mine is PVC not acatate.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:13 PM
pin

Default Standard shocky

Hey guys, cracking thread. On the basis of this thread I bought and flew my first shocky (I'm in London, uk).

A few people asked about std setup, I started with :-

3 hs55's (carbonite jobs)
hitec electron 6 rx
ripmax (rebadged) "12" standard esc
"power" kit (standard 280 motor and gears etc)

I tried with an 8cell 700 mah pack from my gws mustang and soon learned about weight. It did actually fly but it was dog rough. I grabbed some kokham 340s (3s) and tried again, it flew just great!

When the packs are fresh it will launch no probs just let go of it pointing straight up and off it goes. After a while with the standard stuff it's still punchy but looses a lot of the vertical (I am guessing there just isn't the voltage to spin that little 280 fast enough toward the end).

I was always planning on brushless, stripped the little crappy pinion gear tonight (the motor screw vibrated loose) so axi it is, not sure on the esc as yet (castle creations?)

Just thought I woul let you know it flys ok standard, if you keep the weight real low. I now have a stripped down schulze a4 reciever saving me some more weight.

These things are so awesome, everyone in the park comes and asks what it is, where you get them. I should sell em...

John
Old 06-01-2004, 05:49 PM
whackinski

Default RE: Standard shocky

Good to hear John, I'm glad you found help here. WIND JUNKIE helped me with my first shocky in this thread.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Standard shocky

ORIGINAL: pin
These things are so awesome, everyone in the park comes and asks what it is, where you get them. I should sell em...
You have to be very very careful. After a friend let me fly his with a Nippy Black, and another with an AXI, I went right out and bought one. After getting mine built and flown, I bought 3 more. I'll keep two built and ready to fly, and the other two I'll build when I'm bored as backup ariframes. They are addicting little suckers!!

I can finally 3D in my front yard!!! Or down the street at the local park, in the school yard while waiting for my daughters softball practice to end, while waiting for Starbucks to finish my decafe latte, .......
Old 06-01-2004, 07:39 PM
cmsrp

You have to be very very careful...After getting mine built and flown, I bought 3 more.
I know that feeling!!!!!!!

I'll keep two built and ready to fly, and the other two I'll build when I'm bored as backup ariframes.
That is the trick. You MUST have another ready to fly.
I have 3 (although one is 30% larger!!!) ready to fly...

Hey, does anyone know of any other R/C aircraft that has taken the world by storm like these shockies?????
I wander if Martin Muller actually knew they were going to be this sort-after when he designed them???
Old 06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This has to be one of the most popular planes! I was near one of the first in my area to get one I know of, now there are a bunch at the field! once you pop you cant stop
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Can't wait to get mine going, I finally have all the stuff on order. Coming from 4 different places of course

Here's my setup

Zivko shocky
Typhoon Micro 6/3D
Castle Creations Pixie 10
HS-55 Servos
GWS rx

I'll be outdoors most of the time so I opted for irate 2s 830s instead of the 2s kokam 340mahs. I also wanted a litte longer flight times. I might try the 340s later down the road.

2 questions...

I'm using GWS slowflyer props, do I need a prop adaptor for the typhoon or can the prop just slip on there?
Anybody turned their typhoon around? I'm wanting to make a rear mount similar to the way the AXI mounts, is it hard to do or is it a better idea to use the front mount method.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:26 AM
whackinski

I went flying with Vertical ts last night. I am happy to say that my chunky repaired ShockFlyer still hovers even with all that extra foam and Probond. I will have to build a new one soon. We flew the Formosa under the lights it would totally disappear on the downwind turn in the dark, Fun stuff. I still have a prop issue with that plane and it screams like a cat when you step on its tail. We think there is a gear mesh issue to deal with to boot.

There was no wind at our lighted parking lot last night. Absolute calm, a very rare night, until I started flying. I Lunch boxed my Shocky again, they bounce, did you know they bounce?

These are the greatest model airplane ever.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Ya - I keep putting mine in too. I've gotta stop doing that....
Old 06-02-2004, 07:27 AM
pin

I have only been flying for 2 months or threabouts. I picked up an ARC ready II with an mds 40 and some other bits for £50 from a car boot sale. I joined a club and have flown that on a buddy box 3 times. I got bored of driving all that way and got a GWS mustang and started flying that in the park. I smashed that the first flight but learned something about control throws and endpoints.

I have been playing with realflight and g2 for about 2 years, and I have to say that although things are quite different with a real plane, I would say I am a competent pilot already. I then saw the shocky and had to have one, I got a mini electric hele at about the same time.

An old timer saw me in the park and came over as I brought the shocky in, he said I was a very good pilot and was astounded to learn how long I had been flying. I was doing inverted circuits, split-s, cuban 8's, loops inside and out some knife edge stuff and some basic hovering.

I keep having to check myself when I think how much I have learned in the time I have been doing this, a real credit to simulators as a very good way to get used to orientation and stuff. If you mess about with wind and flight failures in the sim it would appear you can handle a low wing or a shocky in 15mph winds

Coompletely addicted now, the other 2 shockys are on order, as is the axi/phoenix combo and some more cells
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
whackinski

Yeah Pin, I have the Nippy Black which is fine but I must have an AXI. I'll grab one sometime this summer. Even though I bounce my ShockFlyer alot I dont destroy it that often. I like having one that I dont care about, it makes doing low maneuvers that much easier when you have no emotional attachment to the plane.
My goal for later this summer is to have 1 pristine shocky with an AXI setup and one to beat on with the Nippy.

I am totally hooked on electrics. I only started 2 months ago and I already have built 2 foamys, and have 3 shoky kits in reserve, plus my reliable Flitter B. Look for my sale in the marketplace. I'm selling a FlitterB with a GWS twin. Although it wont 3D it flys in really small areas.

LOVE RC FLYING
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 AM
pin

We should make a shocky site with all this info in it, vids etc and try and organise an owners club thing. Not that I have all that time spare but I am handy with all things computer / internet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.