Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Mini 3D E-Conversion

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extreme Mini 3D E-Conversion

Old 03-11-2004, 07:32 AM
lynnpreston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Mini 3D E-Conversion

I just flew my Extreme Mini 3D for the first time, and WOW! This plane is absolutely awesome! It is as responsive as any plane I've ever flown.

I covered the pink sections is red colored packing tape. I'm using a PJS 800E, 12 x 6 SF prop, and an IRate 2600 mah Li-po pack. AUW is around 28 oz. It hovers at about half throttle and will pull out of a hovertically, but it won't "punch out" vertically like I want. I'm going to try a PJS 1000 with a 12 x 3.8 prop today. That should provide slightly better vertical performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15258.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	110225  
Old 03-11-2004, 07:39 AM
lynnpreston

Default RE: Extreme Mini 3D E-Conversion

Here is a picture of my motor setup. The battery goes inside the little drawer where the fuel tank was supposed to go. I run the battery lead through a hole in the firewall and connect it to the speed control which is velcro-ed to the outside. I use two rubber bands to secure the drawer. One is looped around the LG, the other around two screws in the LG wood block. I cut down the wooden motor mounts and glued a small piece of pine to the firewall and what was left of the wooden motor mounts. I then screwed my PJS motor mount into that. This provided a more solid base to screw into and also helped move the CG forward slightly.

The CG is probably a little too far back since this setup is SO light. However, it will fly inverted hands-off and almost hovers itself. You have to really try to make this thing stall since it's so light. It seemed to handle a light breeze yesterday very well. It has the best roll-rate of any non-Zagi plane I've flown. I can't say enough about this thing.

Name:	Pn37836.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	110230  
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
lynnpreston

Picture of the speed control. I would like to place the speed control inside the fuse, but I couldn't get it to fit very easily. Also, when you open the drawer to get to the battery compartment, it's easier when the speed control and be removed. The speed control being on the ouside keeps it cool as well.

Name:	Jg14050.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	110231  
Old 03-11-2004, 05:43 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

AWESOME MAN...get some inflight pics or vides we can see that thing in action!!!

Dan
Old 03-11-2004, 05:47 PM
lynnpreston

I'll work on some in-flight pics and/or a video. I switched to a PJS 1000 with a 12 x 3.8 SF prop (still using the 3s1p IRate 2600 mah lipo's), and the vertical was even better. It will pull vertically out of a hover, although it doesn't rocket out vertically. This thing flies as light as a feather and it's almost impossible to stall the thing. It harriers and elevators like a dream.