Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Eflite Ultimate flight problem

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Eflite Ultimate flight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite Ultimate flight problem

I had my first flights tonight and found that with the recommended CG, and with brush less motor lipos all the power goodies.. the plane wants to fly tail down, so when I make a turn with the ailerons it totally drops the tail down almost to a hover?????? I have the thrust line set up with the battery, rx and speed controller on the carbon fiber thrust line that holds the motor....any ideas..this is my first electric plane I have heard that if I have up thrust in the motor that would cause it, but the 3600 gear box the aluminum one fits perfectly on the stick ?????[>:]
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
IHTFP_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Eflite Ultimate flight problem

The recomended setup in the manual is incorrect. There is an addendum to the manual on the horizon website which shows the corrected battery location.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Iceman30

I can't find any thing different, can you explain more?? The instructions look just like mine... thanks though !!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

There is a product bulletin on the Horizon website:

Ultimate CG Manual Correction
For best flight performance of the Ultimate, a high center of gravity is important. To achieve this, we recommend locating the battery on the cabane strut even with the front edge.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Foamaholic

These Ultimates tend to climb under power, whether upright or inverted.
Inverted if I add some power it will loop all by itself. Don't know if I have something wrong.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Chris Moon

My Ultimate is the same way. Inverted flight with any power above about 1/4 and it will outside loop on its own. Also, it has the worst knife edge coupling I have ever seen. As soon as you 1/4 roll to knife edge, it will do a tight knife edge circle on its own. I'm sure that if you played with the wing and stab incidences etc, you can make it better, but for a $50 foamie it's not worth the effort to cut it apart and make changes. But it's still a lot of fun - would I buy another one? No.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Foamaholic

Right. Mine's the same way in knife edge.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Chris Moon

Ok, I moved my battery (Kokam 3C 1500mah) to the top of the cabane up against the top wing as per the Horizon update, and the improvement is considerable. It will still climb slowly with full power inverted, but the knife edge pitch is almost gone. Much happier with the way it flies now! This change is a must-do.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Knighthawk2100

Mine with the recommended CG flys perfect hands off at all power settings. And Knife edges are awsome. It does tend to roll alittle but not that bad. I think the CG is very important. I kept mine High and dead on the 3 3/4 mark.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Iceman30

these things will take a beating though....was working or torque roll about 8 feet up got dumb thumbed and put it in, craced the fuse about 8 inches long ways down the fuse, and poped the middle of the top wing up of the cabine...little glue..flew it again in 15 mins and it hit HARD...but on the sticks all the time...these things no time to think..should help with my big scale plane...I hope..plus this darn thing is fun as heck..once you have all the parts the plane can be repaired or replaced for little of nothing !!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 AM
M3
My Feedback: (25)

Here's mine:

Typhoon 6
Castle Creations 10 esc (I think that'e the name)
HS55s
Hitec Feather RX
All Shockflyer hardware (carbon linkages, etc)
3 cell 1200 mah lipos

Mods:

1. I added reinforcement "wings" to the front of the fuse for the motor mount and made my own motor plate
2. Used Shockflyer hardware from my two beat up Shockfliers (boy are they flimsy)
3. Mounted battery on bottom side of top wing about 1 1/2" inched in from leading edge (pictures were before I moved it)
4. Moved aileron servos out further on wing and cut holes to drop servos into wing (same for rudder and elevator)
5. Added two carbon rods to stiffen wings
6. Used fiberglass and epoxy to attach/strengthen landing gear instead of sewing

Flight:

Awesome. Far sturdier than my shockfliers, but heavier. The Typhoon six isn't enough power to pull hard out of a hover, but it does OK. I would go with the next size up. Great flight characteristics, doesn't climb much inverted at full throttle (probably because of the higher CG of battery mounted on top wing). Lands well with a little power. I like it so much I am going to sell my third NIB Shocky and buy another Ultimate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75799.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	177916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19576.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	177917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94458.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	177918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43264.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	177919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33549.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	177920  
Old 10-06-2004, 01:22 PM
WhtBronco

Recently I read in a amagazine article about another little EP bipe that the author had programmed a bit of flap into, like 2 degrees. He said this made the plane fly much better and then required just a bit of down elevator for inverted flight. I wonder if this would help with this little bipe. It might even help with the knife tucking.

Course on the other hand my DPM Ultimate 40 has upo elevator mixed in with the flaps to keep it level on approach. Well since I am building the Eflite Ulty now I guess I can find out, unless anyone has tried this alredy.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
jim haley

Mine flys just fine with the c/g as shown,,Hmax 2014/D gearbox, TP 1350 2c,,moved the battery back further than the plans say but WOW it does get it on,,using my Eclipse 3 flight modes for all kind of stuff,,best damn plane i have flown if 40 years,,very tought plane,,did add carbon rods to the wings (top of cabane to lower wing) ,,i would highly recoment this plane to anyone,,selling all my fuel stuff to buy more Electric stuff,,,jimbo4261
Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
morpower
My Feedback: (40)

I have one of these but prob. won't get to it for a few weeks. I learn from list. If the datum C/G needs to be raised [via battery on cabaine] why not put aille servo's in top wing and have link wire x-fer to bottom aille? --john
Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Iceman30

I've been flying mine for weeks now. Have friend with two others, running the brushless setups. The battery location takes care of the problem with nose up flight. I have already broken off the carbon fiber tube that holds the motor block on, used 4-40 rod to put it back together, but it bends now if takes a hard hit. I am a 4 year pilot, so not a rookie flying, and fly an edge 540 27% when not flying this thing, but I fly this A LOT...this thing can take some abuse but the rod seems to take the brunt of it, this plane likes to tumble to nose, my friend cracked his couple of weeks ago. I have new one in box waiting on this one to be destroyed, i will reinforce the motor tube with a steel rod before mounting block next time..should not break at ALL like that..

anyone else had problem with CF tube?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Guys, ther vertical CG on any airplane has an effect on pitch coupeling. However in larger airplanes, moving stuff inside like batteries etc has a minimal effect as its a small percentage of the weight of the model. However on foamies, the battery pack is a HUGE percentage of the overall weight of the airplane.
On the E-Flite Ultimate it is VERY important that the battery be mounter on the cabane at the leading edge. It will effect KE pitch coupeling VERY much. Its a must, and the effect on the flight performance of the Ultimate is like night and day.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

so Mike, how does the eflite ultimate compare to your H9 ultimate? [8D]
Old 10-16-2004, 01:50 AM
harrymc

I've been flying my E-Flite Ultimate for a few weeks now and could not be happier! I'm using JR servos and receiver, a Castle Creations ESC, the E-flite 370 brushless motor with the included gearbox and prop, a Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mAh Li-Poly battery pack mounted just below the top wing on the cabane strut even with the front edge per the product bulletin on the website. It rolls so fast on high rates it'll blind you, and snap rolls are awesome, it hovers easy and the torque rolls are amazing!!! I LOVE this plane!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:24 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I just flew mine for the first time the other day, I was surprised at the performance on the stock setup (it did better than I had thought) but I didnt really get to test it to its full potential as my motor burnt up after only like 5 mintues of flight time.

I cant wait till I get my brushless setup, it outa be a blast then! I was hoping to have all my brushless components by the end of the month but by the looks of things itll probobly take me longer than that to get it all.

I might order an e-flight park 370 motor OR a thunder power 3s pack next week, I wont be able to get the rest of the stuff for a while though as just over the past 2 weeks Ive spent close to (maybe more than?) 300 bucks on airplane stuff so im a little tapped out for a while []

Ill probobly get the 3s pack first because I can use it in other planes until I get my bruhsless setup, whereas if I got the motor I couldnt do anything with it till I got the ESC and 3s battery.

So many things I need yet so little money ...

EDIT-----

Damn, no wonder im broke. I figured it up and over the past two weeks alone ive spent 390 dollars on airplane things. Oh well, its money well spent (except for those replacement parts that I wouldnt've needed if I didnt crash so often)
Old 10-16-2004, 07:39 AM
ROGER RUSSELL

I've been flying my E-Flite Ultimate for a few days now and this is my first electric and getting use to it!
Unlimited is unbelievable with this setup.
I'm using GWS servos and JR 700 (caseless) receiver, a Castle Creations ESC, the E-flite 370 brushless motor with the included gearbox and prop, a Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mAh Li-Poly battery pack mounted just below the top wing on the cabane strut even with the front edge.

I must apologize to George Hicks as I tried to spray paint this bird and absolutely did a horrible job on it.
So now I bought another ULTI to build so I can really get crazier with this one now that I have another waiting for a better paint job.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
jakjr

Why not use the included decals? I thought they look pretty nice.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:30 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

I have been told to leave them off for weight savings.
Did not install wheels either, weight savings too.
But the guys I fly with are good enought to hover and catch their plane.
I hope to get there.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:11 PM
WhtBronco

I have not yet flown my new EP Ultimate, well serious glitching from the speed control dashed my hopes of flying yesterday. Anyway I already know there will not be enough power. Heck mine won't have enough power to hover, not even close. Holding it up it when I let it go it falls slowly.

Anyway my question is do think a GWS speed 400 will be enough power? The LHS suggested a few people have used that as a low cost option even though it added a bit of weight to get the power closer to what they wanted. The brushless setup, new ESC, new battery and new charger are not an option right now for me. I am not even sure I'll like these lightweight EP planes. They seem so very flimsy and the wind here has kept mine on the table for better than a week now. Cutrrently I have a 2S 1320mah Thunder Power battery and GWS radio system with ESC.

TIA
Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
jakjr

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

I have been told to leave them off for weight savings.
Did not install wheels either, weight savings too.
But the guys I fly with are good enought to hover and catch their plane.
I hope to get there.

I put the decals and landing gear on mine, but left off the wheel pants.

I too hope to get good enough at hovering that I can just reach out and grab my plane.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Foamaholic

Could try a 400 motor. It can handle more voltage like a 3s pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.