Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Pigi 3D landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Berwyn Bill
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pigi 3D landing gear

Yeah, it seems to be universal that the Pigi 3D supplied landing gear are just not getting it done. I was looking around at a number of solutions when I came across this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFBC7&P=7

It's an aluminum gear by B.J.'s Manufacturing and it weighs barely more than the wire gear that came with the Pigi. But now I can taxi, bounce in a landing on occassion or just cope with a rough grass field with ease. Best of all, the gear was under $6.00!! I used some large Superlite wheels I already had and a couple of screws with stop-nuts epoxied to the inside of the gear for axles. This is a lot lighter than using dubro axles and after drilling out the wheels a bit to fit the screw, I CA'd a compression insert (from the local hardware store) into the wheel hole so the threads of the screw won't catch on the plastic wheel. I just drilled a couple of holes into the gear and screwed them right into the existing block on the Pigi. Total price for the gear and wheels would run around $10.00 and they work great. If you're going to be running off a grass field (like me) it's a low-cost, low weight & extremely effective fix for the Pigi's lame legs. I haven't had to do any bending and the width is about the same as the wire gear so stability on the ground is nice.

Berwyn Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25402.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	183771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51832.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	183772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71784.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	183773  
Old 10-18-2004, 05:01 PM
ElectricDurango

Default RE: Pigi 3D landing gear

I have a pigi and there is no doubt about it, The stock landing gear is not a good one. Do you have any problems with prop clearance on larger props?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Berwyn Bill

No problems with prop clearance at all. The new gear actually gives me about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more than the stock gear. I run 11 and 12 inch props with no problem. I couldn't be happier (and the red Superlite wheels are kinda snazzy!).
Also, I have been trying the APC Electric props (as opposed to the SloFlyer ones) and in bench tests, the 11x7E and 12x6E pull just about the same amps as my 11x4.7 SloFlyer prop. I know you're looking for ways to cut amps so maybe one of these might help a little. They make an 11x5.5E and a 10x7E also. Just another idea.

Berwyn Bill

PS - Thanks to Billy Hell for the prop info in another thread.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:05 PM
ElectricDurango

I even tried a 2S 2000 15C on a 12x6.... not enough umph. I'll get it one day. I just cant make my self go back to nicads or nimh. Long live lipo's.

I think im also gonna purchase your LG setup. THANKS!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Berwyn Bill

I've been running 3S lipos on mine. The extra volts make quite a difference in rpm.

BB