Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

NEW: Tensor 4D - Building & Flying!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

NEW: Tensor 4D - Building & Flying!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
leblanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW: Tensor 4D - Building & Flying!

I see that you guys are taling about a hove for a really long time. What is the setup? I am very curious about it.

Thanks
LeBlanc
Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

shockflierkid, myvwtruck and leblanc... I'm sorry... now I'm double confused.

I had a typo where I multiplies all 3 factors... maybe someone else can help me here.

I thought flight time was calculated:

.340 ah X 60 minutes converts it into amps/minutes

then divide that number by the amp draw = minutes of capacity

Is that right?

So a .340 ah pack becomes 20.4 amp minutes DIVIDED by the amp draw of .5 amps = 40.8 minutes???

If so that combo that myvwtruck will hover for 40 minutes...

I KNOW I'm missing something here... but where? It's pretty new to me too I guess...

ORIGINAL: shockflyerkid101

is your math correct ..im not exactly sure about what formula to use to figure that out but judgeing by what u have just said its....

.340 * 60 * .5

and that works out to be 10.2 wich sounds more realistic and closer to what you are with your lensrc motor
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Zephyr 01

it is a razor 300 in a himax gearbox with a 6.6:1 gear ratio using a 11X4.7 apc slow prop and a 10 c 3s1p 830 pack is ment to

From 3d foamy Razor RZ300 GWS/6.6:1 GWS 11x4.7 3s1p LiPo 12 amps 26 oz thrust.

But we are trying the himax gear box as the GWS ones dont crash very well and the props break 2 easy. our foamies get a had life as we dont have any indoor sites anywhere so it either the garge the house or the park.

what site can i order a tensor from that will be able to sent it to australia?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Devin McGrath

well i dint have a great understanding on this type of thing yet but am working on it ...

but the time frame of 40.8 min does not sound right at all and that cant be .. and i know it only draws .5 amps at a hover setting because i was there when the reading was naked ...... and the plane does seem to fly for around 10 min so i would bet that your original formula ( .340 * 60 *.5 ) is correct I'm not exactly sure how to explain it it would be like if you were trying to find the amp draw average for a flight you would take the 20.4 and divide that by the flight time like 10.2 so that would work out to be .5 amp draw

so the opposite of that would be used to find the flight time ..... multiply instead of divide ... so your original formula would be correct

I'm not sure if i just confused us all more of what but it almost makes scenes to me unless I'm doing something wrong as well ... n e other comments would be great
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Using HS 55's in the Tensor what Servo arms do I need to use/Buy to use on the Tensor????

Can I use the supplied arms without decrease in results????

Thanks, Dennis
Old 01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
harrymcwilliams

Dennis, Servo City has just gotten in VERY long servo arms for the HS55. They are not yet up on their web site. You can call them at 620-221-0421 to order. It is best on the HS55 not to max out the travel points as it can cause broken teeth and lockout.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Ron McGrath
My Feedback: (10)

a servo horn for this size plane can be made to any size with a piece of 64th plywood glue and thread just make a plywood one and tack glue it to the plastic arm stitch it through the holes in the arm and a little ca to soak the thread and you have a bigger low cost light weight servo arm. if you want a picture of it just ask it is so simple to do. also the throw will very depending on the transmitter you use we found that out when my son had his flash 5 and I set up my stulus for the same type planes
Old 01-18-2005, 01:06 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the long arms that come with the 55's on both of my Tensors with no problems.......
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

To figure flight time:

Capacity divided by current draw times 60. If you cancel all the units you will that it works.

So, .340aH / .5a * 60min/H = 40.8 minutes. The .5 Amp figure is WAY off. It should be more like 3 amps, so you'd get about 7 minutes.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Ron McGrath

I think that I just had the throttle in the wrong spot I have been practicing hovering for a full flight and it seams to last about 5.5 to 6 min so probably a little over 3 amps would be about right
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

WARNING, Using CA Accelerator in Building the Tensor 4D, It seems that when I use Accelerator near the taped hinge area's ( Insta Set by bsiadhesives.com ) it delaminates the hinge tape, it can be restuck but not sure how it will hold up.

It did'not bother the paint but I also did'nt touch it while it was drying.

Any other recomendations for retaping/tape material that's not talked about allready????

Which Tape do you think is best???

Thanks, Dennis
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 PM
corey11

could you guys tell me if this is a good set up for the tensor??

three HS 55 servos
Jeti 08-3P ESC
10.3.8 prop
AXI 2208/34 motor
3 cell 11.1v 900mah battery

I want to fly 3d with it, and i want to know if this combo will do it..id like to have flight times around 6 or more minutes. The tensor only needs 3 servos correct? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Ron McGrath

great out door setup 9.5 to 10 oz for indoor use lighter combo yes all it needs is 3 servos
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 AM
leblanc

I say the same as myvwtruck

LeBlanc
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 AM
corey11

so what i listed will work fine? i can get the weight to where you say..i have built many micro helis that need to lose alot of weight...so im sure i can take things, off(landing gear) to save some weight
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Ron McGrath

with the equipment that you said you were going to use you should be at 9 to 10 oz with landing gear and building it as the kit comes.
If you are flying it indoors there is better equipment to use and the servo for the ailerons in the stock build is in the bottom of the wing so I think you should use the gear
Old 01-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Well finally finished my Tensor 4D but, as its my 1st Electric I'm stuck at 4 areas,

1. To get my CG at 2.5 inch to 3 inch I need to put my TP 730 3Cell back to about where the 3 Carbon rods that are together the Horizontal one that enters the Horizontal Fuse is dead center of the Battery Position, Which seems to be pretty far back compared to Pictures of other''s I have seen of it being just behind the motor.

FWI I have the E Flite 1200 370 1080, used the bolts and nuts that came with it, and the reciever is a Berg 5 placed on opisite side 1.5 inch further back of battery position, Prop is APC 10.7.4.

CG using under Top Wing each side of Fuse.

Does this sound not Right and May be something wrong with my CG analysis or should I go with it ????

2. The APC 10.4.7 prop bolts on the E Flite 370 motor that came with there own spinner and collet ? Bushing? , do you need to use the Locationg ring's/Bushings that come with the APC Prop ???

I tryed to use the .236 Ring/Bushing but it was hard to go over the threads and would not go over the final smooth area just pass the threads.

3. The GWS and E Flight Props have a very small hole for even the small motor shaft let alone the larger coller/bushing that workks with the spinner.

How are these props attached ??? Reamed ???

How do you Tighten the EFlite Spinner as it is hard to hold Outrunner with breaking foam, any special tricks to tighten???

I litely hand tightened and test ran engine and it seemed to spin well, Mega thrust.

4. I'm using the E Flite Electronic Speed Controller, Do I set it for Prop Brake ON or OFF ???

How will I know how the Battery is Low and should to land ???

I did'nt see any explanations in the instructions.

Thank You So Much, Dennis The Electric Retard
Old 01-22-2005, 11:13 AM
idonaf
My Feedback: (2)

Hello , what do you guys think about this set-up:

Eflite Outrunner 1360kv
Castle Creations Phoenix 25
3 HS-55 servos
Thunder Power (730? 860? which one should I pick?) 2Cell Battery
Prop (10X4.7? 10X3.8? , 9X4.7?
Charger?
One more thing , what kind of connectors should I use to connect between the motor, Esc and the battery.

Your help is appriciated.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Dennis,

According to the manual the CG is supposed to be 2.25 to 2.5" behind the leading edge/top wing/near fuselage. I would recommend a farther back CG, somewhere between 2.5-3". It wont tend to nose over on landings with the CG set farther back. Works much better. As far as mounting the battery, you might just have to find a place. You can velcro it on one side of the fuselage, I would recommend keeping it as close to center fuselage as possible.

As far as the washers that come with the APC props, I just drill it out a little. You do need them though,as the prop will come off center, and vibrate the nose off the plane if it does.

As far as tightening the spinners....Im still trying to figure out this one myself.

I also am using the E-flite ESC. Set it to prop brake OFF. You want the prop to spin freely. If you have the prop brake on, when you pull all the throttle off, the prop will stop dead...with the prop brake off, it will allow the prop to spin freely=less drag.

As far as the battery goes....you'll know its time to land when the BEC cuts the motor off.
Most likely you'll know its time to land long before this, as you will notice a loss in power.

One thing you should be made aware of is that with the E-flite ESC (im assuming you have either the 20 or 40 amp type) is that if you dont have a full charge on your 3cell lipo when you plug it in, the ESC may mistakenly identify it as a 2cell, and set the cutoff voltage at 6V instead of 9V. If you run it down this far, its toast. I would recommend topping off the battery after each flight, or check the battery with a volt meter occasionally to make sure you dont run it down too far. Most likely you will notice a drop in performance long before it reaches this limit. Eventually, you will be able to "feel" when its time to charge it again.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM
red_z06

Initial setup:

Axi 2808/34
APC 10x4.7
CC Phoenix 10
Berg 5 Receiver
Apogee 1050mah 3cell
4 Hitec 55 (2 on aileron)
Weight was 11oz

It flew great except it had unstability on roll axis ( later corrected with vertical CG shifting to thrust line )
It was mostly flown outdoors.

When I tried it indoors, it felt too fast (stall speed) to comfotably fly indoors.

So, the modification....

Final setup;

Axi 2804/54
APC 8x3.8 on prop saver
Jeti 4amp ESC
GWS 4ch receiver
Kokam 340mah 20c 3cell
3 Polk's hobby x-micro servos (4.7g with 15in-oz torque)
stock landing gear used

Weight is 7.5oz

How does it fly?

unbelievable! like a cloud! speechless!

These are some of the comments from the spectators.

BTW, the flight time is full 8min with aerobatic flying.

CAUTION!! DO NOT TRY THIS SETUP!! YOU MIGHT JUST GIVE UP ALL YOUR OTHER PLANES AND FLY TENSOR 4D ONLY.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 PM
bdavison

Well....

I got one tensor, built it dead-on straight and light. Flew about 40 flights on it, before I had a motor mount mishap, and ...presto...instant confetti.

I got another tensor, built it dead-on straight and light. Flew about 30 to 40 flights during which time I had to make minor repairs a few times from rough landings, etc. Its confetti now too.

I love flying this plane. Its probably the funnest foamy out there to fly. But Im getting tired of dropping 50 bucks everytime it disintegrates. While the crashes are my fault, and pilot error. There is something else to be said here.

Durability on the tensor SUCKS. What would be a normal landing with any other foamy will rip the guts out of the tensor. You have to set it down as light as a feather, or it will yank the landing gear through the wing.

I would highly recommend this plane to anyone. Its a great plane to fly, but its a pain in the arse to keep it together. I found myself spending more time repairing stuff than flying it.

Will I buy another tensor? Not right now. Maybe someday. Ill miss flying the plane, as it flew GREAT, but I dont miss the patchwork it required to keep it in the air.

Now I know what everyone is going to say, and thats "quit crashing it"...yeah yeah yeah...I know. Just bear in mind that most of the crashes Ive had with these foamy planes are doing stuff that I would never DREAM of attempting with my gas planes. Basically, I took the tensor to the limit, and I now know where its limits are.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Ron McGrath

I find that the place for the light foamy planes is indoors the wind outside likes to toss them around too much but if you can find a calm day here and there they are great the next step for me is going to be a bigger heaver foam plane for out doors
Old 02-07-2005, 03:43 PM
bdavison

oFf tOpIc rEsPOnsE....

Yeah, you might want to take a look at a Formosa for outdoor flying. Its big and heavy. Should cut through the wind a little better. I am just about finished with mine. Its a little tricky fitting everything in there, and getting it balenced, but its a fine airplane. With enough power, Im sure it will do 3D stuff. OH YEAH, and here's a little tip. Get some of that 1" thick blue foam from Lowes or Home Depot, and you can use a surform tool to shape larger control surfaces for it. Also the stiffer foam makes it much easier to mount the hinges and control horns. Not to mention the blue and white, looks great together.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Devin McGrath

Finlay someone else can understand how the tensor !QUOT!should!QUOT! fly one question for you hows the vertical on 2 cells for you ? mine was not quite enough at 6.5 so i went to three cells and all i can say is ... WOW ... it might draw 9.5 amps at full but it is almost never used it weighs 6.9 with the three cell 340 and you said you were getting 8 min flights ??? wow I'm doing something wrong then lol idk what it is but on the 2 cells it was not as good as three .. just a little more power needed and it makes the plane more enjoyable
Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 PM
red_z06

shockflyerkid

What is your setup? You could be over proped if you are drawing 9.5amps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.