Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D foamies

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
TheParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D foamies

Well i've heard a lot about 3D foamies and I think they sound like a lot of fun. However i know almost nothing about electric motors ESC or Li Polys. I'm looking for an inexpensive radio/motor setup and wondered it anyone had some suggestions. I really dont want to dump a ton of cash into one of these.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:34 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 3D foamies

You dont have to, 3dfoamy has multiple recommendations for power systems all the way up to the brushless units.. but if you can save up the funds, its VERY worth it.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
3D-kid330
My Feedback: (1)

Totally agree. Check www.3DFoamy.com .
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 PM
InsaneFoamie
My Feedback: (2)

Also check out www.InsaneFoamies.com They have a combo brushless package for $299. They also have a new Yak 54 out now. Watch the videos, They have great performance!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
WhtBronco

I will be going with 3DFOAMY if I get another foamy.

However, I thought I could get 1 of these foam planes fairly cheap as well. I walked out of the LHS at $200. I got an Eflite Ultimate, GWS flight pack and ESC and Thunder Power 2s 1320mah li-po. I already had a charger that supposedly would charge li-pos, the MKII Quick Field Charger. It’s a very nice charger for nicd and nimh, but it’s plain worthless for li-pos, at best I got 85% charge after 2.5+ hours with it. Anyway, the stock power system was a complete joke, it would barely fly the plane. I now have a brushless motor, new ESC, 2 new li-pos for the new setup, a new charger that works and this week I have to get a new Rx since the GWS Rx is glitching with the brushless setup. At over $600 and plans to spend another $40 on a new JR 610UL so I can fly the plane without fear of interference I am starting to wonder if it’s worth it. The plane doesn’t fly that well, can’t handle much wind and is more than double the cost of my .40 size glow profile. Heck I’ve been flying for 15 years and this is now the second most expensive airplane I have ever had, next to my DPM Ultimate. Just think twice about these little electrics. They may be small, but are in no way inexpensive, especially if you want decent power. They have advantages though, for me I can fly this little sucker at home. If it weren’t for that I’d have stepped on it by now.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Woodsy

Check out the BP21 motor and BP18 ESC combo deal for $55 only weighs about 2.6oz with 21oz of thrust, not balistic but about the same as an axi 2212/34 for a lot less money.

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U427453
Old 01-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Leety

take a look at www.insanefoamies.com
combo kits for $299, EVERYTHING you need.
except crystal and tx.

awsome setup, and the plane goes fully together in less than an evening.
(took me 2 days to put mine together, but I had brain-farts on some parts, and had to ask people how to do certain things)

great flier.
just make sure you epoxy or put a strip of carbon fiber on the bottom of the fuse.