Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Tips for building a CAP 232 foamy

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Tips for building a CAP 232 foamy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 PM
corey11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for building a CAP 232 foamy

I bought a CAP 232 from 3d foamy, and id like to get any tips you guys are willing to give out..my set up is...
AXI 2208/34
1320 11.1v battery
Pheonix 10
3 Picco servos
1 GWS servo(got low in cash hehe)
GWS 4 channel RX

Im going to try to mount the RX as far away from the motor, battery, and ESC as possible to elimanate glitches. Other than that, i dont know what else i should do to build the plane. So tips are welcomed!

Also, how do i put colors on the plane?? do i just use like magic marker or something like that?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips for building a CAP 232 foamy

Don't worry about glitches, I run them receivers all the time on foamies with no trouble. You should glue the plane with something like Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue) it makes it stronger. As far as painting i use Krylon Short Cuts paint , comes in small spray can and doesn't eat the foam. Just build it straight and true and go out and have a blast.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:00 PM
RCaillouet3

Corey,

I have been doing some flying of the 3DFoamy Cap here recently. Mine was powered with a Himax 2015-5400 with GWS 6.6:1 gear, using a Kokam 3S 1500. Now with my combo when using a 10x4.7 prop it would draw 14.8 amps at full power! Full power was ONLY needed for climbing out of hover!!!! Heck it wasn't even needed for that, but watching it shoot up like a rocket is nice to watch!!!

Now some recomendations, don't worry too much about the receiver placement, if you mount it around midwing, you should have a problem at all. As a matter of fact I used a standard sized Futaba receiver on mine ... didn't even take the case off... just left the thing heavy!

Battery placement will be more problematic. I had to mount my pack so that the forward edge of the pack was only about 1.5" behind the motor. Now my plane might have been a little tail heavy, as I used 5 minute epoxy for all building. I would definately try to use Gorilla Glue or something lighter than epoxy for next one.

Elevator and Rudder ... mount the servo arms and control horns so that you can get as much throw as possible. The use dual rates to tone them down a little bit. I found out that the airplane LOVES a lot of Rudder!!! I mounted my Rudder with a pull pull cable setup, and I had more fun than should be allowed with the Rudder!!! A fun maneuver with the Cap is to fly it at altitude and bring it to a hover, the reduce power a LITTLE bit to start a slight tail slide ... THEN SLAM THE ELEVATOR AND RUDDER TO THE STOPS AND SLAM IN FULL THROTTLE!!! It didn't matter what way I moved the sticks, the thing did this weird gyration that made it look like a bluecore ball in the sky!!! Tlak about funny to look at!!! The best thing is that it would just stay in that one spot in the sky!!! Then it would just magically fly itself out as soon as you let go of the sticks!!!!

The 3DFoamy Cap is a VERY strong and VERY capable airplane that you will have a lot of fun with!!! If you have any questions later, don't hesitate to ask!!

Reg
Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 AM
corey11

so what you do you use to color the plane?? im thinking of something like magic marker...
Old 02-04-2005, 07:42 PM
RCaillouet3

A cheap way to color it would be to use the Acrylic paints in the Craft section at walmart. You can get enough paint to do 10 Caps for under $10!!!! The way I did mine was very simple. I just left mine solid on the top and painted some stripes across the bottom of the plane with another color. Simply use a brush and the paint! I thinned my acrylic with verly little water to make it easier to go on the plane.

Sincerely,

Reg