Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Newb help on tensor build

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Newb help on tensor build

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
codepunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb help on tensor build

I have 2 questions which should be pretty easy. The first is whether or not these are good components for the Tensor 4D. I basically just went to hobby-lobby.com and looked at their recommended setup. Here it is:

1 EFL2100 - TENSOR 4D AEROBATIC RC AIRPLANE $ 55.00 55.00

1 ETC2500 - LI-POLY SMART CHARGER 1-4 CELL $ 49.90 49.90

3 HTS055 - SUB MICRO SERVO HS-55 $ 20.50 61.50

1 JESAP08W - COMBO: JETI ADVANCE PLUS 8 WITH PROGRAM CARD $ 69.90 69.90

2 P10038 - 10-3.8 SLOWFLYER PROP $ 2.80 5.60

1 PM22002 - RADIAL MNT FOR AXI 22 SERIES $ 12.90 12.90

1 TP9003 - 3 CELL 11.1V 900MAH LIPO PACK

Question #2:
Let me add a disclaimer. All of the planes I purchased in the past have all been RTF. This is my first attempt at an ARF. I have a Futaba 7CAP/7CHP transmitter (PCM/PPM selectable). Does it really matter what receiver or servos I use with it (i.e. it doesn't have to be a Futaba receiver does it)? Also, if my transmitter is on channel 17, do I need to also buy a crystal that's on channel 17 to put in the receiver that I order ? Hope that's not a dumb question.

-Mark
Old 02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
KawaKattacK2000
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Newb help on tensor build

You'll probably need a bigger pitch on that prop...I'd go with a 4.7...and yes, you reciever crystal has to match the transmitter crystal. Also, 3 cell is kinda heavy, but manageable, and jeti esc sometimes have malfunctions...I would go with castle creations...a phoenix 25...you can't go wrong with that...the tensor is a unique design...read up before maidening it. good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 04:44 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

OK...I'm blind.... but I do not see a motor listed......
Old 02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
codepunk

Yep, you're right. Forgot to add that.

They are recommending PM220834 AXI 2208/34 External Rotor Brushless Motor.

-Mark
Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

The set up you mentioned will be fine. You should really see one with a Himaxx 2808-980 on one!!! WOW!!!! 3 cells, 10x4.7 APC Slo-flyer and a CC 25. 10.5 oz, and 24 oz static thrust at 10A!!!! UNFREAKING REAL!!!!!!!![8D]

Thats teh set up I have on mine, and you can see it in the "EVENTS" section of RCU, under WingMasters swap meet.

The Rx has to match "shift" with Futaba. So, like an Electron 6 will be fine on Futaba shift. And X-Tal does matter!!! Must match up with teh TX.

Enjoy!!

Chris~
Old 02-14-2005, 08:51 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Didnt see a reciever on there, but regardless of reciever, make sure its crystaled for your transmitter. Your local hobby shop should be able to tell you which ones to get.

If your using a GWS reciever, they make the recievers in two types. One is for JR/Airtronics, and one is for Futaba...make ABSOLUTLY sure you get the one with the little "F" sticker on it. Again, your local hobby shop should be able to set this up for you. If not, go find another hobby shop.

Also it should be on same freq as the transmitter you plan to use. Dont re-crystal the transmitter. If you do it with a crystal too far out of range, it will reduce range on the transmitter upto 20%. Best just to leave that one alone. If you really want a new freq on the transmitter, you will need to take it to a shop to have them tune it for that freq. I would recommend Radio South if this is what you want to do, but in all reality, this is a unnecessary expense. Just get a 17 crystal for the reciever.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Devin McGrath

i have read to use a 10 3.8 on 3 cells and a 10 4.7 on 2 cells to keep the amp draw down I have never had a problem with jeti speed controls and castle creations are great i don't have a preference except for weight differences and your set up is fine for an outdoor tensor....
Old 02-15-2005, 12:31 AM
oo shee

I hate to say this, but I found the Tensor build to be a time consuming affair. Lots of parts to put together when compared to a conventional X-plane. It also appears to be on the flimsy side. Appearances aside, we'll find out its durability when we fly it this weekend. I don't believe it is a good first ARF build. I'm one week into the build now, but I may be a slow builder.

I would estimate the build time on the Tensor to be more than twice as long as a conventional X-plane. I am only building it because my son picked the plane at the NW Expo.

Of course, this is only my impressions. Others may think it is an easy build and a durable plane. I'd be interested to know what others think about building the Tensor. Am I unusually slow? Is it considered an easy build?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Devin McGrath

well it did not take me to long to build and did not have any real week spots because i changed some things to make it better
Old 02-15-2005, 07:15 PM
oo shee

Shockflyerkid101,

I guess I must be a slow builder. I also used epoxy in lieu of CA. I did this intentionally, sacrificing less weight for, hopefully, more durability as the Tensor will be flown outdoors from grass.

Speaking of durability, did you do anything to strengthen the tail which seems to be too easy to twist? What else did you do to strengthen the plane?