Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Help on Tensor 4D Build

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Help on Tensor 4D Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 AM
oo shee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Tensor 4D Build

I'm finally close to finishing my Tensor 4D build for my son. The tail of the plane seems awfully fragile in twist. Is it as weak as it seems?

Has anyone strengthened this part of the plane and how? I was thinking about installing rods from the side force generators to the bottom of the vertical stabilizer. Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help on Tensor 4D Build

The twist in the tail doesn't affect flight all that much.

You can install either some carbon rod or fishing line to strengthen it up but I have seen no ill effect without it.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM
oo shee

Greg,

Thanks! How does the weak tail affect durability? Is it a weak point in a hard landing? If not, I will not try any modifications.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:38 PM
oo shee

Greg,

Thanks! How does the weak tail affect durability? Is it a weak point in a hard landing? If not, I will take your advise and not try any modifications.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Greg Covey

The tail has no problems when landing. In fact, you will likely see the Tensor flop forward over its nose unless you land it correctly or have the CG quite aft. Unless you drop it on the tail from a hover, the plane has no durability issues.

I would recommend flying it stock first.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:35 PM
oo shee

Greg,

Much appreciate your advice. I will keep the Tensor stock. Besides, it will be easier to complete and I'm, frankly, getting tired of the build. It was much more time consuming than I originally anticipated and is keeping me from getting started on my DCRC B.A.T. build. Your comments have given me a warm and fuzzy for leaving the Tensor stock. I did use all epoxy in lieu of CA in the interest of durability at the cost of reduced weight. Hence, the Tensor may be tougher than it looks.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Greg Covey

To speed up the build of my Tensor, I extensively used Odor-free (foam-safe) CA and regular [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adhesive.htm]Zap Kicker[/link]. The spray bottle unscrews and you can dab the tube quickly on the wet CA for an instant cure. It really sped up my assembly of the Tensor.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
jkwynn

I caught the left wingtip on the grass in a slow left turn, and when it spun around, the right tip planted and the entire tail group broke cleanly just forward of the horizontal stabilizer. This was obviously not a design flaw in any way. Very simple repair, a little CA and a little time (I had no kicker). Otherwise I've had no problems with it.