Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Now we have it right... The Maxi 09 is the right one!

Dymond Maxi 09
Dymond Advantage 25 Amp ESC
Dymond Turbo Lipoly, 3S 1350 12C
APC 10x3.8 SF

Now WOT performance is...

19.7 Amps, 195 Watts, 31 ozs Thrust !!!

Went and flew another battery to try it out, still got 12 minutes out of it. WOW, now it IS Ballistic... Goes verticle till it's a dot, acceleration is amazing. Pullout from a hover is like someone kicked it in the rudder. WOT pass will now cause the wing to flutter! I like this setup very much... we're there. I'll try to exchange both Maxi 16 motors for Maxi 09's... my son will be VERY happy with all this power.

The batteries are good for 15C surge (20 amps), so if I reserve the WOT for limited runs, it will be awesome here. Motor was barely warm after lots of hard flying, no worries there.

Had one incident, the motor connections are not real tight. Was doing a blender and one lead disconnected. Motor died, deadstick. Got it down okay, was high enough to bring it in nicely. Awesome setup, I recommend this one for anyone looking to rig the Yak for better than 2:1 thrust to weight ratio.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 PM
tylerman

oh man!! I can't till i put all this together!![>:]
too bad next time were with you its dove openertheres not gonna be any time to build
so its gonna be a while till I have a plane flying.
oh well im just happy i have it---we'll have your plane to fly out in bakersfield----its usually very calm out in those wheat fields.
i noticed that last time we were there.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
TManiaci

Well, went to Dymond today... decided to kick it up a notch more than planned... check out the new hardware.

AXI 4130/16
Phoenix 80 Amp ESC
Dymond 5S2P 8000 mAH

Now that should do it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82494.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	313873  
Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Abras
My Feedback: (1)

After reading all this great info about this plane, and my friend destroyed my Tribute in a real airplane crash (He hit a real plane[&:]), I had to buy one Yak.

Here is my setup:

E-Flite 20-Amp Brushless ESC
Park 370 Brushless Inrunner Motor, 4100Kv
1200 mAh lipo 3-cell
GWS 6Ch micro receiver
Blue Bird Servos: 6.2g (0.21oz) - 0.11 sec - 0.8 Kg/cm (12oz/in)

I have only one question:
I have 4 servos, should I use 3 or 4 servos on this plane?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Rocky V.
My Feedback: (25)

I maidened one at the field for a guy last weekend with almost the same set-up. With the Castle Creations and Axi 4130/16, except it had a TP pack. HS 55's all around. Be careful with it T-Man, it felt a little "heavy" on the wing to me. I got it all trimmed out, but I recommended to the owner (this is his 3rd plane including his trainer) that he leave it alone until his thumbs and brain are proper alignment for such a craft. He decided to try it anyway. The poor little thing met an untimely demise.
On a positive note, the vertical was very good. Ample power. Got a little "tippy" when it slowed down.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:05 PM
TManiaci

Rocky... I was joking... I assume you are too . That AXI 4130 is for an E-conversion on a 46 sized trainer. The battery wieghs 2 lbs, the motor wieghs another 2 lbs. This stuff is HUGE.

On another note... Dymond was very cooperative, and exchanged my two Maxi 16 brushless outrunner motors (one slightly used) for a Maxi 09 and a Maxi 12. Have not hooked up the Maxi 12 yet to check performance and dial in a prop for it yet, but it should roughly match an AXI 2212/20 and turn a 11x4.7 at around 200 Watts.

I hope so... because I got new toys for my b-day... Mini Funtana and a sparkling new JR9303 radio (boy, am I spoiled!). The Maxi 12 with a 2100 mAH 12C battery should pull ~240 Watts, and generate roughly 35-38 oz's thrust, probably swinging a 13-14 inch prop. Should be awesome on a 22 oz plane.

Now my delemma is to many birds to build. Gotta help my boy build his new Yak (finally found a good one that wasn't bent or crushed), still in the process of rebuilding a crashed Funtana 40, new build on a 49" SIG Rascal electric, and the e-conversion of our Nexstar trainer, and now a Mini Funtana. Wish I could take another week's vacation to build planes .

No wonder I never get time to fly...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Rocky V.

Only about the motor size, the mini-tanna flying like cold poo is true. Along with it's un-timely demise.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Abras

It will be great with you guys can help me.

Should I use one or two servos on the airelon?

Blue Bird Servos: 6.2g (0.21oz) - 0.11 sec - 0.8 Kg/cm (12oz/in)

I need to decide right now, because I'm already buying it.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM
TManiaci

Abras,

No need for independent aileron servos normally with HS-55 or better, but your servo selections are a bit light on torque (12 in-oz). In this case, you might want to use two. We have rigged for extreme throws, and there is some doubt the HS-55 is able to push those big ailerons to the stops in high-stress acrobatics. It is really hard to tell for sure, but I strongly suspect the HS-55 aileron servo is hitting the torque limits now.

This bird is capable of VERY violent stunts if "adequately" over-powered and you provide extreme throws (45º or better). Now that I have kicked it up a notch with the new motor/ESC, I am suspecting all kinds of issues. I truely expect it to break in flight. I did a hard & fast snap-roll when I was testing the other day, and the battery nearly came out. Was barely hanging by a thread, never saw that before. One of my CF supports on the nose popped off, and it just looks like it's destructively wild when you push really hard (and I did push hard).
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
TManiaci

Rocky,

So you were telling about a mini-tanna crash then, not a Yak, right?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Abras

Thanks a lot TManiaci.

Where is the best place for the dual servos?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:54 PM
TManiaci

Abras,

I looked at that, and thought it would be best to put them behind the origonal single servo hole, and against the inside walls of the fuse with the arms sticking out of the extended slots. That moves the CG back a little.

If you are not converting to pushrods for the rudder and elevator, and moving the rudder servo back, then move the aileron servos back even more. This plane is hard to get the CG back far enough with a limited space to place the heavy battery.

Do NOT use the CA hinges. Get some 1/2-A size Robart Pinned Hinges (or small Dubro Pinned), it's a must if you want decent throws. The CA hinges split and de-laminate the foam and end up getting all messed up after you re-glue them several times.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Rocky V.

Yea it was a mini-tanna, to be honest I'm not sure of the equiptment. He told me what it was, but it was E-flight stuff and I don't know how to translate yet. I do remember he said it was a 3 cell LiPo and I saw the TP sticker, but as you know I'm still learning the e-stuff.
On the first maiden, right after take-off, the turtle deck blew off. I landed it and we bent the little wires that hold it down. I took it off again, got it trimmed, and took it up a couple of mistakes high and tried a stall, it did a light tip right and then snapped back to the left. Kind of a supprise cause it felt so lite on the ground. It's not a floater like our F90's, it has some bad habbits. I did not check the latteral ballance, but the CG was in front of the recommended range. It met an un-timely demise at the hands of it's owner shortly there-after. He had only been off the cord for a short time and his 2nd plane is a Goldberg Tiger converted to E. Now that flys real nice, lite and gentle.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Abras

Thanks again, I will finish it today.

About the original Hinges, I used 5-mim epox to glue then, and I think it worked ok.

To be honest, I'm gluing all the plane with 5-min epox.
Here in Brazil CA-Safe is too expensive, and it's very hard to find.
The only problem is that it will weight I little more.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Abras

Another thing.

I can't get the supplied gearbox to pass through by the ply motor plate brace.

What should I do?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

optimal placement of the aileron servos would be on the wing itself, if you drew a line from the control horn on the aileron, perpendicular to the hinge line, it should line up with the servo arm (servo should lay down on wing)... this will give you a very even throw, with no binding, and maximum throws.... but it doesn't look very good... if you don't want two servos hanging out of it, don't worry, they will work just fine where tman says...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Abras

I'm thinking on trying using just one servo, to see with it really too weak or if it can handles.

What do you think?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

i had to push the gearbox through the ply ...wasnt easy but the ply bends enough to pop the gearbox in just go easy and it will pop through.... the gear mesh is the space between the motor gear and the gearbox gear (this is the part everyone messes up and then goes out to buy the outrunner) put a peice of paper or plastic parts bag inbetween the 2 gears then push them together and tighten the (motor to gearbox) screws..turn the prop shaft and paper or plastic should rotate out...and theres your perfect gear mesh
Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
TManiaci

Abras,

Give it a shot with the single servo, but don't be surprised if you get mushy aileron response. If you do, then you can always pull the single out and install dual servos. All that work is inside the fuse, so not too destructive. You might consider making a thin plywood servo plate and glue it in for the single, then screw mount the servo. That way it's less destructive to remove and re-rig for dual servos later.

The only risk with a weak single aileron servo is... if you strip that servo, it will result in a crash. There is no minimum torque requirement published, so we are in the fog here. I am only relating my experience and assuming what I seem to feel is related to lack of torque with the HS-55 servo in mine.

I am running outrunners, but I recall someone said to just use a dremmel and sand out a notch on either side to get the motor/gearbox assembly into the nose. It didn't take much to make it go thru.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

i use 1 hs-55 servo for the ailerons ........rolls just fine outside
but i know what you all are going at with the 2 aileron servos ..(a snap roll)
i use 2 on my tribute and it rolls tighter but not by much because the aileron surface much smaller .....the yak makes up for this servo by using huge aileron surface
....go 4 two aileron servo's hell Quique did in TOC and won second place using 2 aileron servos... its a good thing if your competing against other foamies out there
Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Abras

Thanks everybody for the support!

Now its only depend on me. I will post some pics when I finish. This is the second foam I build, I don't have too much experience in bulding anything. Just flying...

Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

could someone tell me what is the best outrunner motor for this plane and where to get it? I have a castle creations 25amp ESC,
Thanks
Edwin
Old 08-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Abras

Finished it yestarday. I went with 4 servos like you guys said.

This is my first one with gearbox, and I already didn't liked. I don't know what happend but my gearbox was very soft, and after I installed the motor in the firewall, the gearbox went very hard when you try to spin it.
I was luck that I already have a second one from my old tribute.

I will post some pictures showing the 2 airelon servos, it's nice!

About the CG, what is the perfect CG for 3D Flying?

I will maiden it today, any other tips?

Thanks a lot again!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Abras

ORIGINAL: salmon

could someone tell me what is the best outrunner motor for this plane and where to get it? I have a castle creations 25amp ESC,
Thanks
Edwin
Horizon suggests a Park 400 Outrunner Motor, 920 Kv.
People who used, liked a lot!

I bought the geared park 370 instead of this one, because here in Brazil they don't sell the outrunner.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

my inrunner 370 works fine and prop spins easy by hand your mesh is too tight
i had a feeling this would happen to all of you who try the gearbox ...im just skilled when it comes to gears
im a old gearhead .....you better get at 400 outrunner before u fu..k your yak54f up[]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.