Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

NEW Eflight 400 920kv OUTRUNNER! Mini Banshee review too!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

NEW Eflight 400 920kv OUTRUNNER! Mini Banshee review too!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Eflight 400 920kv OUTRUNNER! Mini Banshee review too!

Hideho all,
Boy am I pissed...my buddy picked up on the new EFlight EFLM1305 400 outrunner, 920kv yesterday.
OK, I'll back up...My buddy powdered one of his bigarsed Warbird glow planes Tuesday...needed retail therapy..off to the LHS...bought a Cermark lil Banshee....he wanted a Himax 2812-850 like mine, (out of stock on the Himax) so he just bought the Banshee and some servos and the Eflight 20 amp speed control..because I have a nip 2812-850 that I let him use until the LHS gets 'em back in stock...so far, so good, right?
So the Banshee goes together like butter, schmooth as silk...install the 2812..we go and do the maiden...all he has are Greatthings 900ma 3sp 12C...no problemo, plane flys terrific, perfect match, 14.1oz all up, and I'm pissed because the LHS is out of the Banshees, and now I gotta have one, it flys so stinkin' perfect, no foolin'.
It gets worse, from here.
So we're down at the LHS ordering me one of the BAnshees and what are they putting in the glass case?
The new Eflight 400's...740kv and 920 kv's..comes with cross mounts, spinners...bullet connectors, ect.
I read the sheet:
lo:7A@10V (no load current)
Ri: .1 ohms (resistance)
Continuous current 10A*
Max burst 13A*
esc 10-25 amp
2-3 cell Lipo
28mm dia
29mm length
56 grams
shaft dia 3.17
Maiden flight(s) on both motors were propped with APC 11X4.7
So because of the instant gratification that retail therapy needs to be completely effective, my buddy opts for the Eflight, cancels the Himax 2812-850 he ordered the day before.
We slap it on, and go fly.
Stupid motor blows away my Himax 2812-850 like it was standin' still. Smokes it.
Completely kicks it's arse, badly.
NOW I'm pissed, 'cause I own 2 of the 2812's...and I have a banshee on order, and although I loved how it flew with the Himax, the Eflight 400 weighs less, and smokes it out loud.
HArrrrump, the agony!
The shame!
OK, hot tip, the Banshee out flys every stinkin' balsa 3D ship I have ever flown...the EFYAk?
Kills it.
3D Buddy?
Not yur buddy.
Foamys?
Not on a bet.
Sure, there is a wee bit o coupling in HAKE, but the blenders/waterfalls/harriers/hovering are simply outstanding, dammit.
This plane floats, too.
No warps, no issues, no if only's.
OK, if only it was in stock.
My other friends ordered 3 more.

So in closing, the Eflight 400 920kv outrunner is an absoultly outstanding motor, map is 59 bucks, w/mounting hardwear ect.

For sale, Himax 2812-850, only 2 packs flown through, perfect in every way, no crashes, dings, scratches, box hardwear, ect, included.
50 bucks plus 2.50 shipping.
Sorry for the rant, I just hate it when I find another irresistible plane/motor combo....

Old 04-15-2005, 08:51 PM
ben flyn

Default RE: NEW Eflight 400 920kv OUTRUNNER! Mini Banshee review too!

You want my banshee? I hate it.... it flies like a rock.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Mike Bogh

Why Ben, what was your all up?
How come this one flys so good?
A rock?
My buddy's floats terrific....
What is your motor/battery?
ORIGINAL: ben flyn

You want my banshee? I hate it.... it flies like a rock.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:23 AM
ben flyn

Mine weighs 14.7 ozs, has a hi-max 2818-850, running a 10-4.7 prop and I'm using a thunder power 1350 lipo. First, it's very very tail heavy ( when inverted, it climbs at 1/2 throttle) this is with the battery all the way foward, then it has a electron 6 receiver and it glitches at a certain throttle low (idle) position. When I first flew this bird I could get it to land like a butterfly with sore feet, now, it lands like a rock. My Shocky will out fly this bird ANY DAY!!!!
[>:]
Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Mike Bogh

Interesting....sounds like you have a incidence issue...Or, perhaps I haven't flown my friends enough...it has been very windy here the last week, so the 4 times I flew it have been in 12/18 mps winds, and for that, it has been kicking my Shockys arse...I love my Shockys, I really do, but I can't fly them in these winds.
Butterfly with sore feet, interesting analogy.....so far the Banshee is able to ROG off grass, thats a first.....with all my light planes I tend to bump the throttle on touchdown, grease 'em...and if you were closer, I'd take yours off your hands in a NY second....I haven't flown it with a heavier battery yet, just the 900's, packs in the middle of the fuse...haven't noticed a tail heavy issue, but in these winds it is always climbing anyway...and I haven't done any circuts inverted yet...just waterfalls, blenders, (full power) hovering and a couple of climbing inverted flat spins....so far so good.
I'm guessing you have tried to shim the motor, right?
It would be tough unles you had the Cermark mount, I'll get one coming in case I need it..adding up thrust would cure the climbing while inverted, but would exaggerate a tail heavy condition...no, it does sound like an incidence problem...for sure.
That's the deal with these tiny arfs, they are easy to get out of whack, my EFYak had too many warp issues I couldn't get around so I sold it after 30 flights, I just didn't care for it.
Flew "warpy" if you get my drift.
What I like about the Banshee is the nice airfoil,,,feels light on the sticks. Elevators right down to the ground...(OK, it's been windy, that helps) Lands like a butterfly with sore feet, OK, now I get what you mean.
Well I don't blame you for giving up, I gave up on my YAK because I couldn't get it dialed in....I just like the wee balsa concept enough to keep trying..altho I will miss the "putting it in the box" for traveling idea.
Perhaps calmer weather will expose an inherant design issue, i'll just have to wait and see.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Kody
My Feedback: (19)

Mike,

I told you it was a good plane... You should have had one way back in Feb. at the NW Hobby Expo...[&:] They had LOTS of them there to!![X(]

Have fun with the new plane when you get it.

Regards,

Kody
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 PM
mickey-gem

I purchased the E-flight 400 outrunner 920 kv for use in my E-flight yak 54

TP 900 mah 3 cell Lipo
Phoenix 25 ESC
12 ounce finished weight.

recommended E-flight 11x 4.7 Slow flyer Prop, as per E-flights instructions,
The outrunner burned up 5 minutes into the first flight, it made an awful grinding
noise then it just stopped.

I was in love with the $59 price tag, since you get the motor mount, srews, gold
connecters, and prop shaft adapter, unfortunately this motor did not work out for me!
The owner of the LHS said he was having some issues with the 400 outrunner "not holding up"

I now have an AXI 2212/34 with all the same components working very well.

Regards
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just built eflite yak #2 with the efilte 400 outrunner/APC 11x4.7, yak #1 has the 370/gear box set up/12x6 eflite. My 900 TPs did not the like the outrunner,(work just fine with the gear box) they did not seem to like the full throttle amp draw, the motor would go to full power then fall off a bit. Using the 1320 TPs there is no drop off in rpm at full power. The outrunner is 1/2 oz lighter than the 370/gearbox, but the 1320 weighs not quite an oz more than the 900 pack.
Performance wise the 370 gearbox/12x6 has slightly more vertical pull, however put the the same APC 11x4.7 on the gear box and the vertical goes to the outrunner (which has plenty of vertical by the way). But i am impressed at how much quieter, responsive, and smoother the outrunner is. It just seems to make the plane to fly smoother. I can't detect any noticable difference in run times so no issue there. As far as longevity, I only have 30 minites on the outrunner but so far so good. If i burn the 370/gearbox up I would replace it with the outrunner

take care
zonk