Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

new Fliton Prodigy 3D

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Wildstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Fliton Prodigy 3D

Hi, Has anyone got any information or heard about the new fliton Prodigy 3D? I was looking on RCgroups forum for info on the fliton Icon and/or Jumping Jack and come across this
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355235]Fliton Prodigy 3D[/link]

looks very tidy, athough I have no idea of the price. Anthony
Old 04-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: new Fliton Prodigy 3D

It's supposed to be sold by Hobby-Lobby. I'm not too interested in it though. The only major differences I see between it and the Icon is that it has less wing, more weight, and is longer.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Bob101

It's in the Hobby-Lobby catalog I got this week...part number FLIT101

however it's not on their website..even if you search for it by name or part number.

Price listed is $149.00, wanna order one but no dice as of yet on a dealer. If Hobby-Lobby doesn't have them in the computer I bet it's a while before they can ship.

Do a search on googe there's some forums that have info on them in Europe but I had to have google translate the page for me to read it....

In the description they call it a 3-D/Pattern hybrid. It looks like smaller quiet storm made for more pattern than all out 3-D.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Wildstyle

ORIGINAL: Ryguy
The only major differences I see between it and the Icon is that it has less wing, more weight, and is longer.
I though it looked like a Icon but more toward being a pattern model and with more wing area than a JJ.

$149 isn't too bad, as the quality of Fliton ARFs is farly good. I'll just wait for more information to become available when they are in stock, I'm in no rush to buy a new park flyer yet anyway it is just my shock flyer does'nt like the wind.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:11 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I picked one up this week at the Joe Nall event. H.L. had a tent set up selling a few things & they had the Prodigy for $139. Since the "Judge" foamy I have has seen its better days & they recomend the same motor set up as my Judge had in it I decided to get one.

It took me roughly 6 hrs to get it completly ready to fly & the only complaint is with everything foward it comes out at the rear of the recomended CG. I wanted to do a little more pattern type flying than 3D so I'll have to wait till the first flights to see how this works out.

My first overall impressions with the quality & the build is very good. As soon as I get around to it I'll post a few pics & a flight report.

I dont have a way to weigh it but compairing it to my Judge they seem to weigh very close to the same so I woud say its in the 16 to 20 Oz range
Old 05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
rsrogers

I got to put a few flights on mine today & boy does it fly great. The down side is the AXI2212/26 just isnt enough motor.

Using an APC slowflyer 9/6 on 3S lipos gives me the best #'s at around 86 watts per pound but it isnt enough. The plane with this setup has sport plane flying power but no where enough for good 3D or IMAC style flying. I got this more for IMAC style & it does good on most stuff but being limited on vertical is where it hurts it.

I'll be ordering one of the new Himax 2816/890's tomorrow which should help considerable on the power & a little on the balance as the plane came within the specks but toward the rear. The balance dosent hurt the flying but landings can be troublesome as the plane will stall very easly if you dont keep a little down attitude & a little power on it.

All in All I am pretty pleased with the plane just needs a little tweeking in the motor dept.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Wildstyle

according to hobby-lobby the AXI 2212/26 is optimized for the plane. what about a AXI 2212/34?
do you have a way of measuring the thrust produced?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
rsrogers

No I dont have a way (yet) to measure thrust in oz's. I have found the info on the Model Motors web site to be pretty good.
From the info they give on the 34 it isnt as good as the 26. Here is a url to there info on the 2212/34 the examples of use is about 1/2 way down the page http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?id=en&nc=produkty_vypis&kategorie=m_neodym_ac&id_rady=axi_22&id_produktu=axi_2212_34&nazev_rady=Series%20AXI%2022&hmotnost_rady=(24,5%20-%2057%20g)

Sorry its so long but I dont know how to do the fancy html stuff[]

They have info like this for all the AXI motors, just navigate back to the home page & click on the AXi series.

Hobby Lobby has been pretty much right on on most everything I have gotten from them but I think they missed just a little here. Even if you watch the video of the Prodigy on there sight http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/flit101-prodigy.wmv it dosent look as though it has the power a plane like this needs.

Until the new Himax arrives the plane will still be fun to fly but most of it will be at full throttle.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 AM
RickC2009
My Feedback: (12)

RsRogers,
You might want to try a Hacker A20-20L it's a drop in replacement for the axi and with a TP 2100 pack you get about 125 watts per pound! It will also balance just fine with the TP all the way up front. With an APC 9X6 it will cruise along very nicely or you can go with a 10X4.7 for some 3d-ing. Hover will be just over half throttle!
Rickc
Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
rsrogers

Thanks Rick, If the Himax dosent do the trick I'll give that a try.

Since I'm pretty new to electrics I'm having a hard time figuring out just what motor to use for a certain application. Without the info on "performance" on sites such as the AXi one its all guess work to me.

With a glow engine a 40 size is a 40 size & I know what its capable of. With electric everyone has different #'s & nothing is standardized. The length & dia. of the "can" best I can tell dont mean squat. Sure the bigger, more than likely, the more power, but if we just looked at the size to judge that for the application we would all be overkill seeing how for there size there quiet powerful. I have made a little sense of the Kv rating though.

If all the Mfg. would get a standard rating for the things it sure would help guys like me!! Actually Astro flight has helped lots of folks by sizing there engines in 20, 30, etc sizes & that seems to be comparable to what I'm used to.

If anyone can figure anything out that helps us guys that still have the gas & glow way of thinking understand some of this I wouldnt be to proud to listen to it!![]
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 AM
JRW

Further on performance: The battery is a HUGE element in the power package. I have a couple new Kokam 910 mah, 3 cell Lipos, rated at 15c discharge, and they completely surpass the still new, Thunder Power 1320 packs I have. I let a friend try one of my packs in a Tuff-E, on AXI 2212-26, and he too was impressed with the performance, increase, as well as over 10 minutes of 3D flying.

If you want to instantly increase the performance of your Prodigy, purchase this item: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJSH8&P=7

Without a doubt, the lighter weight of this pack, and the higher discharge, will IMPROVE the performance of the model. My comaprison is against a friends plane with the AXI 2212/26, and my Zoom Zoom 4D with AXI 2212/34.

Thanks,
Jim W. (also new to electrics, but I want a Prodigy, waiting to see the right motor combo )
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 AM
The_Wreck
My Feedback: (40)

I just bought this plane and plan on using the power system from my mini funtana....My mini funtana was about 21oz and this setup gave incredible power and good run times. Hover at half throttle.

Himax 2816-890 - Great motor!!
TP 2000 mah pack (this is the black one that is lighter than the 2100)
APC 11x4.7 prop.
Works well with the 10x4.7, but the 11 gives better thrust.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
RickC2009

rsrogers,
It's all about the watts!
The more watts you get out of a power system the better the performance. When I am deciding a motor I look at the amp's it can pull to get an idea how much power I can pull from it. I also look at the kv to see what prop I can spin on it. (Lower kv bigger prop)
But mostly it's a lot of trial and error!
The best way it to find out if it will have the power I want it to find someone who is running the same system in another plane and ask him!!!

Wreck,
Do you have anymore data on that Himax 2816?
I was thinking of getting one for a profile and would like to know the amps/volts it is pulling with the 11X4.7 ( How many watts?)
thanks
Rickc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54468.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	273205  
Old 05-18-2005, 02:25 PM
rsrogers

ORIGINAL: RickC2009

rsrogers,
It's all about the watts!
The more watts you get out of a power system the better the performance. When I am deciding a motor I look at the amp's it can pull to get an idea how much power I can pull from it. I also look at the kv to see what prop I can spin on it. (Lower kv bigger prop)
But mostly it's a lot of trial and error!
The best way it to find out if it will have the power I want it to find someone who is running the same system in another plane and ask him!!!

Rickc
Your definatly right about the trial & error!! I've went from finding a motor for specific planes to finding planes for the motors I have since I've did the trial & error thing quiet a few times!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
neta4

Hi Guys,

I am just about to purchase a motor for the Prodigy, im opting for the PJS 900 which gives up to 900g of thrust and weighs in at 60g http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=235 .

Before I buy I was wondering which way round the motor is mounted in the plane (ie is the motor attached at the front or back), with the PJS it seems you have to know which way you are going to mount it and then buy the appropriate version of the motor.

Cheers

Rik
Old 05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
westy1957
My Feedback: (2)

hello, what do you think about this cheaper plane? :

http://shop.lindinger.at/ProductDeta...3D20%26SP%3D20

http://www.lindinger.at/shopexpand.asp?artikelnr=56583

P.S. the Prodige is sold here: but costs double
http://www.voloelettrico.it/prod_prodigy_3d.htm
Old 05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
The_Wreck
My Feedback: (40)

Not sure about the watts and amps, but my guess is that it will pull about 18amps at 11.1 volts with the 11x4.7 and you can judiciously fly with the 12x6 and it will pull close to the 25 amp limit of my motor controller.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:37 PM
RickC2009

The motor is mounted on the front side of the fire wall!
rickc
Old 05-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Nickolas

2212/26 is too small for the plane. I plan to use a 2808/24 on my Jumping Jack.

Check this motor test table to find out the most suitable axi for your plane.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lj23189.pdf (200.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope to pick up a Prodigy this weekend and was wondering if something like the AXI 2808 will fit into this plane. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
neta4

You should be OK with the 2808/16, im using a PJS 900 (60g) and I draw about 23 amps at full power on a 11 by 4.7 prop. This is enough for vertical performance and prop hanging with a Kokam 2000 3s1p battery (160g) but you are at about 80% of available power.

I have a thunder power 1320 Pro Lite as well which if I could use would give me a considerable boost in performance, but I cant get the plane to balance with it. Im actually going to swap the motor for a slighty heavier PJS 1200 (80g) hopefully the extra weight at the front will allow me balance the plane without adding any weight and I can get some more power for use with the bigger battery.

Anyway good luck with Prodigy. They fly beautifully but I tihnk the construction process could be better.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:51 PM
tIANci

Neta - thanks for the reply. What is 'wrong' with the construction process? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 AM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Hello I am also very interested in the Prodigy but was wondering if a 12" prop would have clearance to the ground??? I was looking at Uberall Nippy Blacks, they do seem to have tremendous power for ther weight and size specifically the 2510/114. I am very tempted on this setup, but will wait and see on the propeller clearance aspect.
I am also interested in the construction process, any faults, misses, complications???
Best regards,
Homero
Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 AM
tIANci

I just picked up the Progidy and she is lovely. Just need to ask how do you mount your motors? I am using an AXI 2208 clone by GS and I wonder if you will mount it behind or in front of the firewall. I noticed that if you mount it infron then the base is too large for the firewall. On the other hand, if I mount it behind, the brace at the top cuts across mounting area.

If I mount it from the back then do I cut the brace? Anyone with some pictures of how they mounted their motors? Thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Billy Bunter

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice if possible....

I recently lost my Jumping Jack on it third flight - one wing snapped. I was unaware I had an early kit without a wing brace upgrade....[&o]

The JJ had been fitted with an AXI2820/12, a Castle Creations 30amp speed controller and a Flightpower LiPo 2500 3 cell pack - It went upwards rather well!

As a replacement I picked up a Prodigy and I am now mulling over the best power setup.

I can fit the gear from the Jumping Jack, but I am questioning is this is too much motor/battery....? On the other hand I want the model to really perform and reading some of the posts on this thread the little 22 sized AXI motors (which are lighter and will allow a smaller battery) sound like they will not provide 'sparkling' performance.

Can those of you out there who are more experienced at this electric stuff than I (my only other electric model is a shock flyer) tell me what you would do?

The cuurent options (with AXI motors) as I see them are:

1) fit the 2820/12 I already have onto the back of the firewall and use the 2500 LiPo and not worry about weight

2) fit a 2808 motor and a smaller battery, however, I have no idea which of the 2808s to use (16, 20 or 24) or what battery would be best for good performance and duration. I also have no idea if this would give unlimited performance, which is a definite requirement.

Any help given or other possible options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.