Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
misely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

I have been flying mine for about 1 week. Flatana,Hitec 55s, Phoenix10, Himax Outrunner 2808-1160,3cell TP I think 900ma,10X3.8
Here are a few things I found, I lengthened the horizontal doublers all the way back to the wing, and the bottom vertical one I extended past the wing. The reason I did thisis it tends(or I tend) to land, then hit the nose of the plane( In grass) and it broke in front off the wing and down the bottom, I would suggest doing this even if you can set it down better then me because it stiffened the nose up considerably. If you dont stick mount the Brushless it seems very strong double( a friend has a ultimate and has broke also as mentioned early). I also hit my battery's end will In a hover, and got it to harrier in and snap a carbon fiber landing gear, I took the other off and belly, harrier land it, I like it better than with the gear on it.

Do I like the plane, Yes I have 1 in the box and a Turmoil on order, mine is heavy and it still has a ton of power and flys Great
Old 06-28-2005, 01:33 PM
mmmdowning

I'm installing the rimfire, and rest of the upgrades on this plane. I do have one question, Will I be OK to run a 3cell lipo 1500ma Great Planes pack? I have 8 of these, so I don't want to buy more and smaller. Please help.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:04 PM
GonzoBonzo

mmm,

I wouldn't recommend it. The 1500 is almost 2 oz. heavier than the 640 they recommend. 2 oz. don't seem like much, but on a plane that weighs 9 oz. going to 11, thats a 22% increase. Not only will it not fly as good, the fuselage wont be able to handle the extra weight, and will probably break on a hard landing.

Bonzo
Old 06-29-2005, 07:46 PM
3dcrazy

I am really tempted to buy the Flantana Flatout and the Rimsfire motor,it seems like that is a really good motor for this plane but there is one thing that seemed srange to me and that is the way the propler is hanged on by a rubber band? does that break?? that seemed weired to me but I have never hade a foamie electric yet I have 2 electric balsa planes though but thats all I was woundering about
Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

OK I'll bite...

I finally took the plunge and bought the Cap-580 Flatout combo. from tower with the Rimfire brushless motor and my brother bought the Flatana combo - We have not received them yet but will advise on the build/flight characteristics of each ASAP!

Can't remember if it comes with a 2 or 3 cell- I also think that rubber banded on prop. is a kick, though I am sure it works---

My brother and I have both been flying for about 20 yrs each and decided to get these brushless foamies to fly with our 79 yr ols dad in his back yard- he has been flying electric for many years, and we finally gave in and bought the "foamies" so we could burn some... uh..err... amps with him!

Take care all,
James
Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why Great Planes posted a shot of this setup with a rubber band is beyond me... With both the stock motor setup and the Rimfire you get nice rubber "O" rings to mount the prop to the hub. A word about the prop and the hub---The prop is too tight for the prop saver feature to work properly. So tight you have to press the prop on the hub with the proper adapter installed. You should lightly ream the prop out by hand with a drill bit of the proper size. You get a very good APC prop with the kit. You also get a prop spacer/adapter for GWS props if you have a handfull of those already. The prop hub is reversable so that you can run either the APC or GWS props...Nice touch.[8D]

Kevin
Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
3dcrazy

I thought the specs called for a o-ring just wainted to make sure I was not seeing things,well I ordered the last flantana that was avaiable lastnight and the Rimsfire motor. I plane to go with this setup

motor: Rimsfire
Battary:2cell ThunderPower 860 lithium (that seems like a small battary though I imagaine you can get a 8-10 min flight out of it?)
servious:HS-55s
Speed Controler phonix 25 AMP
Reciever: probaly a GWS
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First flights result..
The gear didn't snap off..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91396.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	292073  
Old 07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
jarcpilot

I have been looking through towerhobbies specs and have been looking through the manuel online for the Flantana and can not find which battary they recommened,so which battary are you guys using?? I went to the hobby shop today and picked up some servious,foam safe glue, and the speed controler and happened to look at a thunderpower 2 cell 860 lithium and it was only $30.00 dollers not a bad price compared to what I paid for the yak and mini funtana, that a good batary for it???
Old 07-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recommended batttery: Great Planes Electrify Li-Po 640 mAh, 11.1 volts/15C. Price is $39.99. You may be able to save a few $$$ by going with another brand but the GP Electrify has the proper connectors for their ESC, etc... By the time you buy the right connectors you haven't saved much so I'm going to get the above mentioned battery, GP C-12 micro brushed ESC w/BEC(I'm going to use the stock motor for now as this plane will also be used by my novice son as well.) The C-12 BEC is set up for use with either Li-Po or NiCad/Nickle metal hydride batteries---Very important if using Li-Po's as some ESC's are not really specifically for Li-Po use and could allow Li-Po batteries to become discharged too low, ruining the Li-Po batteries. (Li-Po batteries cannot be discharged too low---Makes 'em paper weights)

Kevin

P.S.---Page 4 in the Flatana manual has the info you need for the batteries. Part # for the GP electrify Li-Po pack is: GPMP0805
Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 PM
3dcrazy

I am down to choosing 2 battarys here the 2 cell 860 ARE a 3 cell 1320 that I urady have both batterys are ThunderPower the only thing that scares me with using the 3 cell 1320s is the foam not being able to hold the weight other then that I would use it,mybe since its a mid-wing and if the battary is mounted over the wing then it could hold the weight better and the manule does talk about a 3 cell, just not sure yet, both batterys have there avangtes and there disavangtes
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 PM
jarcpilot

I did some priceing and weighing batterys and was looking at the 3 cell 730 batterys and I saw they weighd about 45 grams which is what a ounce? hase anyone tried using that before and what duration where you getting?? ( I am looking for about 10-15min range I usaly stop after 8 mins to let everything cool down)

sorrow if I keep posting about this
Old 07-07-2005, 04:07 PM
serpa4
My Feedback: (1)

So, what are the major differences between the planes? The bi Plane is obvious, but other than that, they seem very similar, weight, power, wing area 220-240, etc. Will one preform better then the others? I have a 10A ESC and 4 450 3-cell lipos I'd like to use. I'll probably wire two packs together for 900 mah. Hopefully this will work. Anyone have fly times for T-370 brushed motor and various MAH and for the RimFire and varous MAH batteries? How is the vertical performance on the T-370 brushed motor? I will probably use it for the first couple months.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
matt flyer

If you wire the too batteries you will get a 3c2p @ 450 mah (aka) a 6 cell pack that is still the same 450mah but will for sur bun out any small motor.By the way dose any one know the thrust of the rimfire motor with the reccomended setup and an a flat out what will it hover at and how is the pullout. Thanks

Matt!!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
serpa4

Humm, wouldn't ++ to -- give double capacity and same voltage and + to - and + to - give 22.2 v and same capacity?
I could be wrong though as this is why I'm asking.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

The Rimfire motor with a 3 cell lipo 640mah has plenty of power to pull out, I usually get about 12 minutes of flying. It will hover less than half a stick.

later
Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
serpa4

Thanks for the info on fly times. I just go my cap 580 and rimfire. I talked to the local hobby shop who also is a long time lipo flyer and I can wire 2 11.1 volt E-Tec 450mAh HP cell which supports up to 4.5A continuous discharge, together and get 900 mah and 9A discharge at 11.1 volts. Now since the Rimfire motor can do 11A max, is this too far out of line? The recomended ESC is an 8 amp unit, "Recommended brushless speed control for use with flat foam airplanes:
GPMM2070 ElectriFly BL-8 Brushless ESC 8 Amps" so it sound like this should work. I hope for good vertical performance at 7000 ft.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Razor-RCU

Anyone have problems with the speed control that they recommend with the Rimfire motor? Got mine finished plugged it all in and the speed control would not beep no matter what I did---

Frustrating indeed- Any tips?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried reversing the throttle channel on the transmitter?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Razor-RCU

OK I bypassed the switch and it is working well now... Is this common? Plug-in and go...

Just put the first 2 flights on my Cap-580 with the Rimfire and 3 cell 640Lipo (the whole upgrade package from Tower)--- WOW, This is my first foamie but I am amazed already-

As mentioned this thing hovers at less than half throttle and full throttle is scary (in a good way)

I have sever coupling issues in knife edge flight and I may need to shim the engine for better inverted performance, but overall I am VERY impressed... For those who are wondering mine did have the "Cap-Snap", but then again I fly everything so tail-heavy it is pretty much un-natural- I also have my throws set to about 80 degrees on elev. similar on ailerons and as much as possible on rudder--

I am already ordering another airframe since they are only $35 bucks and I am sure to destroy this one within 48 hours

Silly power to weight ratio compared to my glow profiles...
Old 07-09-2005, 01:48 PM
evfast

I have the Flatana wich is my first foamy and electric plane. I was amazed on how much fun you can have in your front yard. But I will say the landing gear must come off.

I set this plane up with the rimfire and it flies great
Old 07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
serpa4

Ya, landing gear may go by by. I ploped down slowly in the grass and it still jacked the wing. I'm at 6000 ft and hover is about 1/2 throttle or a touch over with the rimfire. Nice engine for the plane. I'd love a second one, but would like the kit without the motor. Any part numbers for them without? The only one I saw on the website was the bi-plane. O-ya, 3-4 hours to build my donky! However, it still simple.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
evfast

Well we have a Huricane down here so building the Cap this weekend was a good choice. More like 7 to 8 hours.
What are you guys using on attaching the rimfire wood mount to the foam, glue or epoxy?

Hope the power stays on.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:57 PM
thomasf

first electric/foamy, what fun it is. Nothing to compare it to but the flatana is easy to fly.
Evfast use epoxy, I found out the hard. the instructions say to use glue, but on it's second flight the motor pulled off the foam. My friend was flying it and he brought it in safely. Maybe it was just poor gluing skills, but I epoxied it now and so far so good.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
misely

If you pop the gear off put a piece of 1" packing tape down the bottom off the plane, it helps from tearing up the bottom of the plane and makes it stronger. I only had it 3/4 of the way down and it cracked behind the tape, so I have it full length, I even put it on the bottom of the rudder (I drug it on the gravel)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.