Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Flatana...first impressions.

There's no need to go brushless on the CAP 580.. the kit motor with a 3s640 lipo is more than enough power for anything.
Saves $45 off the top.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the Huricane is gone! So this afternoon I will do my first flight on the Cap. I hope it flies as good as the Flatana.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:16 PM
misely

It probably has good power with the brushed motor on a 3 cell, but you will find like I did the life of the brushed motor will be short.
I had been contemplating for about a year to buy a brushless motor and finally bit the bullet and bought it. I wish I would have don it sooner!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Tall Paul

Can't comment on motor life... the battery fell off on its (the battery's) first flight.. smunched the plane -and- the battery!
The plane was quite enjoyable while it was flyable.
Great potential there.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
funflyphil

i got my flatana yesterday.....

it is going to be my fourth foamy(2 shockys and a 3DF edge) and i must say i like it already....it looks like it may be a bit more fragile, but my first three were trainers, and i dont intend on busting this one up much..,...

as for the gear...im trashing it....just catch it or simply put a strip of flat carbon along the bottom so if you cant catch it, you can harrier it into the ground without f'ing up the gear....

-Phil

pics and hopefully video soon...
Old 07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

My Rimfire is held on with UFO glue and screws

FRAGILE airplane!

Hard to get it dialed- seems like after a spin or wall, the trims change---- stuff seems to bend in flight quite a bit-

The Rimfire has TONS of power hover less than 1/2 throttle- Harder to hover than my gas planes so far---
Old 07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
nstaller
My Feedback: (9)

The stock motor on my flatana only lasted about 20 mins of flight time.I called and they are sending me another motor but I went ahead and bought a e-flite 370 and a Phoenix 25 esc, But I may just putt a e-flite 400 on it instead. I just dont know if it will be too much motor on it.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Flatana finally ready....Went out in the parking lot during a break at work...Took off and flew about 200 feet and I noticed that the power was falling off. I landed just as the BEC cut in....The battery was low. My charger is broken and I'm waiting on a part to arrive so I couldn't charge the battery---Bummer!!! I was hoping there would be enough juice in the new pack for a five minute flight or so...

I went with the more expensive Electrify 25 amp ESC/BEC speed controller and I'm happy that I did. Programable brake works like a champ and this unit can be programed for all battery types---Just listen to the tones and look at the LED's. I can't hardly wait to get my charger repaired........

Tell me---Have any of you tried the little LiPo Electrify charger??? If so, how long does it take to charge a pack???

Kevin
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Kevin- I bought the combo and the Electrify charger works great but it takes about 40 minutes to charge my 3 cell-640 pack I just need to spring for a couple more... My brother has the Triton I will have to try that one on the Lipo

I flew my brothers Flatana with the same Rimfire set-up and I liked it a little better than the Cap- although mine may just be too crooked is all

I was doing flat-spins and the rudder moves so far it was hitting the elev. and coming "un-hooked" pretty funny- had to adjust my EPA a bit...

I am hooked on E-Flying!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18994.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	297062  
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Kevin- I bought the combo and the Electrify charger works great but it takes about 40 minutes to charge my 3 cell-640 pack
I have the same combo and it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to charge my battery pack. ??? Anyone else out there using the small Electrifly charger? By the way, I just finished "building" this plane today, my first foamy ever. It took me at least 12 hours, no way this can be done in 2 to 3 hours like they say. I really had a hard time with the diagonal fuselage reinforcement (not flat at all), and snapping thouse z-bend clevises is a nightmare. I also found some errors in the manual. Hopefully, I'll be able to maiden my Flatana on Friday.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 AM
HIGHSTRUT

I'm using the Electrify PolyCharger which has 3 charge current settings. Set at 500ma it takes 1hr.20mins. to fully charge. If your fully charged in 40 mins. your charge setting is 1000 ma. Is that charge method safe?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:00 PM
nstaller

I changed the stock motor to a e-flite370 outrunner and I love it. For those of you with brushed motors on this plane throw a brushless on it and dont look back.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
evfast

Well I just had to post these pictures of my first (Electric Foamy Planes). I must also add that I can fly right in front of my house without loading my planes into my SUV and driving 30 minutes to the flying field!

These electric planes are great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78667.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	297236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86710.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	297237  
Old 07-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: HIGHSTRUT

I'm using the Electrify PolyCharger which has 3 charge current settings. Set at 500ma it takes 1hr.20mins. to fully charge. If your fully charged in 40 mins. your charge setting is 1000 ma. Is that charge method safe?
Not for the 640 lipo... use the 500 ma setting, and wait.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Planeclothes

Evfast, I noticed you didn't use the fuselage reinforcements. I did, and now I wonder if that's what caused my Flatana to be a little tail heavy. I had to move the 640 lipo battery pack as far front as I could (right behind the landing gear), and still was off by 1/16". I will be using the stock motor for now...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 PM
evfast

I bought the plane new at Graves and it was built allready, I do have the reinforcements I just have no need for them right now.
The plane flies good, the landing gear is crap.

Where do you fly at?

later
Old 07-15-2005, 01:10 PM
HIGHSTRUT

Thanks Paul, that's the way I'm charging ,500ma.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Planeclothes

I fly at Rocket City RC in Christmas. I maidened my Flatana today, it was a little breezy for this type of plane but it was a lot of fun. There were no surprises, it just flew straight as an arrow with no need for trimming. The first landing I just let it drop harrier style with a little power but as soon as the front wheels touched the grass, it came to a sudden stop but there was no damage. I thought about getting rid of the landing gear right there. The second flight, after getting airborne it really turned windy and I was concerned the little plane would get blown away, but I managed to keep it close to me until the wind slowed down a little. This time I decided to bring it down harrier style over our field's high grass (soft weeds about 3 ft high) and guess what, I found out this is the way to go. So at least for now, the landing gear stays.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:15 PM
MTShipp

IMHO, the landing gear sucks. Even trying to harrier down, most of the time it noses over. I am seriously thinking of lopping those things off but it is one of those "once you do it, you can't go back" things.

Other than the landing gear and the Fu$#ed up instructions with using S3108 servos, the Flatana flies well! I am using the stock motor with a 640 LiPo and controlling it with my Eclipse 7.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 PM
nstaller

I agree the landing gear sucks *****.I am going to cut mine off as soon as I get the chance.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 PM
bdavison

Well, I finally got to see the flatana fly last night.

Its a nice airplane, but I wasnt that impressed. Its just too heavy to slow it down. Im spoiled though, I have a sub 6oz shocky so its what all my opinions are based on. The Flatana seemed to fly really well, but its extra weight just makes it faster. It would be ok outdoors or in a LARGE gym, but in the restricted space gym I regularly fly at, you'd really be fighting the airspeed it needs.

Have any of you managed to cut the weight down on the Flatana to under 7oz?

Im holding out for the Reflection. And crossing my fingers that you can get it to slow down.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:22 AM
csimmer

Does anyone know if this BP21 brushless motor from Balsa Products would work well with a Flatana? Over in the Stryker forum a few people really like this motor.
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U422859

Would it stick mount, or would it be better to use the firewall?

Waiting for my Flatana to arrive and trying to pick a brushless....
Old 07-31-2005, 09:15 PM
ChuckCLJ
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: HIGHSTRUT

I'm assembling the Gp Flatana with the manuals recommended receiver and servos, and found the servo wires short of reaching the receiver from the aileron servo. The aileron servo is installed as suggested. Anyone have this problem?
Hi,
I am having the same problem with the servo lead lengths. Did you ever resolve this issue?
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Old 08-01-2005, 01:44 AM
serpa4

Nope. Just depends on your servos used.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Planeclothes

If you use the recommended futaba servos and receiver, make sure the aileron servo is glued with the output shaft backward instead of forward. That's how I did it and it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.