Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Non-brushless 3D

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-brushless 3D

Is there a way to get a reasonable start in electric 3D without investing in Lipoly and brushless?

Please answer from your experience, I have seen add's like GP's YAK 55 3D that come with the 280 brushed motor and gearbox and they seem a little too good to be true but maybe they are, who knows? They also show usage of a lipoly setup, that may be the first upgrade necessary from a basic GWS non-brushless type package needed I guess. ($90 plane + 1 1500mA LiPo). Can you safely charge a LiPo like that with a Hobbico Field Charger MkII?

I fly glow planes now but started out with electric but never progressed on to brushless. I have one electric flying still, a Mountain Models Dandy Sport, that on the brushed motor it has and a 8 cell pack (I think CAN950's) flys around like a spritely trainer.

Appreciate the help.

Adam
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Non-brushless 3D

Please look for the ST Models YAK. I had one, no need to get a brushless, will perform 3D easily with the stock set up. Not sure who sells it in US, try this website http://www.stmodel.com/2004/t3d-3.htm
Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

You can do 3D without brushless motors, but if you want to ALSO avoid Lipos, you're starting out with a very large handicap.

Like learning to swim in a straightjacket.

The small foamies all really PERFORM best at the light weights that Lipos allow. It's a huge sacrifice in weight OR flight time if you jump to Nimh or Nicacds. The advent of Lipos allowed the current explosion of the meat tray 3D foamies and now every kid on the block has one.

Gary Wright showed us years ago you can do good 3D with his E3D plane without Lipos, but that is a very lightweight design in a "40 size" configuration.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4100]horizons typhoon3d site [/link]

List: $269.99
Our Price: $219.99

Needed to complete:

You won't need anything to get this aerobatic plane flying. Just charge the battery while you assemble your Typhoon 3D, and when it's done charging in 40 minutes, you can take to the air.

........Four proportional channels that allow users to have full control of 3D flight
A gear-reduced ParkZone BL400-15T in-runner brushless motor that provides long, efficient run times and gives power to spare at varied speeds
Li-Po compatible technology that allows users to upgrade to a 2100mAh 3s Li-Po battery from the included 9-cell 1000mAh Ni-MH battery pack for more power and longer flight times
Z-Foam - a revolutionary hybrid foam material that is stronger and lighter than most foams
Symmetrical airfoil for advanced aerobatics, such as hovers, harriers, torque rolls, and waterfalls with the standard Ni-MH battery
Reusable 72MHz FM radio system that includes industry-standard 3-wire brushless ESC and servos with separate receiver. Availble on six frequencies.
Dual elevator and aileron rates thanks to the Mode Change Flight Control system
Dual aileron servos
Two propellers - one for speed and one for power
Steerable tail wheel
8 AA batteries for the transmitter
Rechargeable 9-cell 10.8V 1000mAh Ni-MH battery pack
1.8A variable rate DC peak detect charger that charges 5- to 10-cell Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21076.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	293002  
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like there are some alternatives for non-brushless but getting a few Lipo's seems to be the sensible thing to do.
Anyone know if the ST planes available through a re-seller in the US?
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
S1Pitts
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For ST Models products try http://www.parkermodel.com/NewProducts.htm They are the distributers but should be able to hook you up with a dealer in your area.
If not http://www.zebrahobby.ca
Has been a great source of electrics for us up here in Canada & he does ship to the US.
KR
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

A GWS 350C with a C gear in it on 8 cells will hover my Dad's Beaver. That's quite a site to see.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 AM
tf2psycho
Banned

they even hovered in 1949 [link=http://www.americanjuniorclassics.com/movies/Sabre%20Dance.wmv]sabre 1949 hovering movie[/link]