Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes...YAK 55 "EP"! Brand New! Pic

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Great Planes...YAK 55 "EP"! Brand New! Pic

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 AM
kctrading
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes...YAK 55 "EP"! Brand New! Pic

I saw this on Tower Hobbies site....nothing on Great Planes site that I could find...they are on back order as of late Sept.

I like the looks of it? Comes with a bigger 370 brushed BB motor and 5.1 gearbox and prop...on the heavier side which should make it fly better outside and in some wind....ok...I put one on order too

Ken

Info.....

This is the electric powered, radio controlled, almost ready to fly
Great Planes Yak 55 3D 3D Aerobatic Park Flyer Airplane.

**Additional Technical Info Will Be Added When It Becomes Available**

FEATURES: Construction: FlightFlex EPP (Expanded Polypropolene) enables plane
to keep flying even after most crashes
Trim Scheme:
Wings: One piece Flight Flex Foam constrution with foam ribs and
carbon fiber tube reinforcement
Motor: 370 size equipped with ball bearings and 5:1 gearbox pre-
assembled (50 tooth spur and 10 tooth pinion)
Canopy:
Aileron Control: Dual Servo
Hardware: Complete hardware included
Propeller: with aluminum prop saver (GPMQ4620)
Building Time: Ready to fly in 2-3 hours
Cowling: FlightFlex construction

INCLUDES: Fuselage, main wing, cowling, motor and
gear box, prop, prop saver, hardware package, decals & instructions

REQUIRES: Radio: 4-channel with micro receiver - FUTJ37**
Servos: 4 micro size (9g or less) - FUTM0042
6" Servo Extension: Two required - HCAM2000 (for aileron servos)
8" Servo Extension:
Y-Harness: Standard Y-Harness HCAM2500 (For aileron Servos)
Speed Control: 30A - GPMM2030 (you will have to install a male Dean's
battery plug onto this esc to match the battery pack - WSDM1302)
Battery: 3S 11.1V 1200-1500mAh Lithium-Polymer - GPMP0831
Charger: Designed for charging Lithium-Polymer packs - GPMM3150
Building and field equipment: Low Temp. Glue Gun and glue sticks and
other miscellaneous equipment - WOOU1445 and WOOU1446

SPECS: Wingspan: 34.5" (875mm)
Wing Area: 352 sq in (22.7 sq dm)
Weight: 14-16oz (397-454g)
Wing Loading: 5.7-6.5 oz/sq ft (17-20g/sq dm)
Length: 38" (965mm)

Old 08-02-2005, 09:47 AM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Great Planes...YAK 55 "EP"! Brand New! Pic

It looks ok, but IMO, all yak55's are ugly with the "bubble" canopy, yak54 all the way Can you imagine a e-flight yak, with a flight flex airfoil and full fuse, now THAT would be awesome
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
kctrading

Down the road what brushless motor would you guys recommend with this plane...going to use a 3 cell lipo battery 1500 mah and a HD SC. Also direct drive outrunner or geared? Plane weight 16oz

Ken
Old 08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

for a 16oz brushless bird, the hacker A20-20L will give you insane performance, but I think the A20M could pull the plane around just fine for a ligher setup... I'll never buy a gearbox, too much bs, and extra weight... outrunners all the way
Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

i just got e flite yak and im going with a hacker A-22L motor and the new x-20 esc. Hopefully this shoud work pretty well. This is what the people at Hacker reccomended.

Thanks Scott
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

i used to own a flight flex u can do... very similar construction to this one, can anybody tell me if it has any reinforcements for the fuse/tail? I know these are meant for slow 3d but i'm allways fighting a bit of wind. Without mods the ucd's fuselage would interfeer with aileron movement because it wouldn't flex in the air, it would BEND.

Still. with very easy mods i managed to make it rigid and light. I know this will do slow 3d very gracefully with my brushless setup (and punch holes in the clouds when i gun it) All i want to know is the following; does it have any reinforcement from the wing to the tail section?

Other than that i had no complaints about my ucd, it was definitely a lot of fun to fly. Not stressfull but still very aerobatic and lively. This should just be even better than the ucd. If they have it in stock at my lhs tomorow i might just break down and get this though i'm looking for something stiffer.

emnm79, you ave an avatar of a yak54 e-flite. How does it fly without an airfoil? I have heard great things about this plane for 3d use but how does it do as a sport plane? and in wind?

3d is nice but i want something that can do all around. A yak55 flight flex will do that, just very slowly, and gets bent out of shape if you power through a maneuver. I like the fact that they have real airfoils and fuselage though. I also considered a great planes yak55 in spite of it's uglieness. At least it has a propper airfoil, not a flat piece of meat tray cut into shape.

i just feel like there's a holy grail of planes out there that'll do all i want, i just haven't found it yet. (i guess it's the same for everyone, that's what keeps us reaching for our wallets over and over)
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM
kctrading

ORIGINAL: aflipz

i used to own a flight flex u can do... very similar construction to this one, can anybody tell me if it has any reinforcements for the fuse/tail? I know these are meant for slow 3d but i'm allways fighting a bit of wind. Without mods the ucd's fuselage would interfeer with aileron movement because it wouldn't flex in the air, it would BEND.

Still. with very easy mods i managed to make it rigid and light. I know this will do slow 3d very gracefully with my brushless setup (and punch holes in the clouds when i gun it) All i want to know is the following; does it have any reinforcement from the wing to the tail section?

Other than that i had no complaints about my ucd, it was definitely a lot of fun to fly. Not stressfull but still very aerobatic and lively. This should just be even better than the ucd. If they have it in stock at my lhs tomorow i might just break down and get this though i'm looking for something stiffer.

emnm79, you ave an avatar of a yak54 e-flite. How does it fly without an airfoil? I have heard great things about this plane for 3d use but how does it do as a sport plane? and in wind?

3d is nice but i want something that can do all around. A yak55 flight flex will do that, just very slowly, and gets bent out of shape if you power through a maneuver. I like the fact that they have real airfoils and fuselage though. I also considered a great planes yak55 in spite of it's uglieness. At least it has a propper airfoil, not a flat piece of meat tray cut into shape.

i just feel like there's a holy grail of planes out there that'll do all i want, i just haven't found it yet. (i guess it's the same for everyone, that's what keeps us reaching for our wallets over and over)
\

I may get a different 3D plane....Towerhobbies keeps pushing back the available date....from Aug. to Sept, and now it's October!

Ken
Old 09-19-2005, 12:37 PM
aflipz

i ended up getting the yak 54 by e-flite... I guess i'll just have to try it and get my onw opinion of it... I heard so many people speak highly of it i have to give it a shot, in spite of it's flat wing wich is a real downer..
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
kctrading

i ended up getting the yak 54 by e-flite... I guess i'll just have to try it and get my onw opinion of it... I heard so many people speak highly of it i have to give it a shot, in spite of it's flat wing wich is a real downer..
Right now I am checking out these 3D planes....

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/3d-planes.htm

Ken
Old 09-20-2005, 01:56 AM
aflipz

the scorpio loop on theat page has about the lowest wing loading i have ever seen, and a super fat airfoil, look at the video, it doesn't fly, it's neutrally buoyant! lol

I was contemplating it but find 109usd + shipping (40$ last time i checked with them) is a great deal of money for a foam plane...

It looks like an outstanding 3d toy
Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
kctrading

the scorpio loop on theat page has about the lowest wing loading i have ever seen, and a super fat airfoil, look at the video, it doesn't fly, it's neutrally buoyant! lol

I was contemplating it but find 109usd + shipping (40$ last time i checked with them) is a great deal of money for a foam plane...

It looks like an outstanding 3d toy
There was a bit of wind to keep it in place...they also recommend that one for beginners and if you want a slow flight...I was concidering that one as well.

Ken
Old 11-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Scworth

Anymore news on this? im tempted to pick one up tommorrow after work
Old 11-09-2005, 12:29 AM
aflipz

check the video. Looks like a great deal of fun to me. For stress free flying in confined park spaces i know it will be a lot of fun, i would want one to keep in the trunk of my car ready to go anytime. Brushless outrunner, as allways is a must.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=PR&I=GPMA1274
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 AM
c016Y

Anyone willing to share their experience actually flying this plane and what setup they used. I am thinking about getting it. Looked at the ucd, but, I hear is has the same nasty coupling that the .60 ucd had and everyone felt like they had to make too many mods.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 AM
kctrading

check the video. Looks like a great deal of fun to me. For stress free flying in confined park spaces i know it will be a lot of fun, i would want one to keep in the trunk of my car ready to go anytime. Brushless outrunner, as allways is a must.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=PR&I=GPMA1274
I was orginaly going to get this plane until I saw this one....this is the one I will be getting! 13 to 18 oz with a 45" wingspan with a true airfoil...a 3D plane that also flies like a real plane!

http://www.3dfoamy.com/SuperXtra.htm

http://www.3dfoamy.com/videos.htm
Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
c016Y

yup.. there are a lot out there. Just really curous about this one. I like the idea of maybe some extra crash protection.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:57 AM
kctrading

ORIGINAL: c016Y

yup.. there are a lot out there. Just really curous about this one. I like the idea of maybe some extra crash protection.
Yes there are to many out there...would be nice to have a few different ones in the hanger! I have a small elec piper that I fly from my back yard....biggest problem is that it get to small when flown any distance away...reason I decided to go with a bigger 3D plane that weights just a tad more than the Yack.

Ken