Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Wow, I did not mean to stir up the pot here... I was just looking for a few opinions on which plane flies more like glow. The A20 is sure enough power for both of these planes. I have read through and watched a lot of the vids, especially those of the Dominguez brothers, really awsome flying. I just want a sturdy plane that can take some abuse that will take me from electric to glow 3d flight. I guess I will have to check more on the construction of these two planes. How thick is the fuse on each of these. Thanks everyone for the replies, I was surprised to see this many in just a couple of days.
All I can say here is that a guy at a local flying club had a Copperhead Extra Stiffy and he said it flew like a Funtana.

A word to the wise, anytime you get a opinion from STLPilot it means he is somehow getting $ and therefore hes biased. He does "independent reviews" for his own products also.
lol Now, be nice here, I'm sure he's making only a few million.

50%
Old 04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

ORIGINAL: aerofundan

A friend that owns an Airfoilz and has flown a Stiffy too, says the stiffy flys much better.... i won't say names! to not get anyone in trouble! but he said the airfoilz is really fragile! and he even had to ADD CF to the tail, because it wasn't strong enough.... hmmmmmmmmmmm [X(]

Were does your friend live? If he lives in Panama, I have never shipped one there. With over 200+ planes out their that is the first time I have heard of the "tail not being strong enough".....hummmmm BTW you got one thing right the plane is Fragile JUST like my 3,000 COMP ARF....weight is evrything I guess.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:16 PM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

Personally I think between the two of them they are probably the best Foamies on the market today. I ended up going with the Airfoil Z because I like the doublers around the firewall, servos that screw in, the ability to run the wires thru the fuse, & the the fuse itself having frame work inside the foam that you can see will keep it stiff without twisting & flexing & it is a little more affordable. I'm not bad mouthing the stiffy what so ever, as I said I think the two of them are the best available right now. I've seen the videos of both, the Airfoil Z in 20+mph wind & was pretty amazed at how well it flew in that kind of wind. I also watched the video of the stiffy & those Domiguez boys can definitely fly!! So in conclusion I think they are both great looking & flying Foamies, that will handle winds that would ground the rest of them. I think whichever you choose between the two you will be very happy with! JMO

P.S. Paul's customer service policies are top-shelf, he really did me a good deal, in a situation of my own doing.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: Furyflyer2

A friend that owns an Airfoilz and has flown a Stiffy too, says the stiffy flys much better.... i won't say names! to not get anyone in trouble! but he said the airfoilz is really fragile! and he even had to ADD CF to the tail, because it wasn't strong enough.... hmmmmmmmmmmm [X(]

Were does your friend live? If he lives in Panama, I have never shipped one there. With over 200+ planes out their that is the first time I have heard of the "tail not being strong enough".....hummmmm

He lives in North America.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 PM
elenasgrumpy

If he had to add CF to the tail, perhaps he should practice hovering off the deck instead of dragging the tail section around.[sm=idea.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Just kidding, I couldn't resist that one though!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Furyflyer2

Airfoilz Videos- http://media.putfile.com/AirfoilZ-Ya...-by-Justin-Chi

http://media.putfile.com/Airfoilz-Yak32

The video was shot in very strong winds, and cold batteries.
http://www.3dxhobbies.com/videos/Yak-54.wmv
Old 04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Furyflyer2

ORIGINAL: Furyflyer2

Were does your friend live? If he lives in Panama, I have never shipped one there. With over 200+ planes out their that is the first time I have heard of the "tail not being strong enough".....hummmmm

He lives in North America.
Cool does he live in Canada? I sent 2 planes their and now I have a dealership with great hobbies, they will be selling the planes in their 2 store locations in Canada, so tell your friend THANKS, it must have been him that told Great hobbies about the plane.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:21 AM
JOyog

I think you are right elanasgrumpy, either of the planes will probably suffice. I guess I will have to look at them both again and make a decision. The way the weather here in CA has been lately I probably won't be doing any flying until June. Gives me time to really do some research. Maybe there will be some more vids posted of both of these planes.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:18 AM
elenasgrumpy

No flying till June? Brother I'm only an hour south of you, & we haven't been letting no stinking wind & rain stop us, but then again my flying buddy is a die-hard! But it's been great practice flying in these stiff winds between down-pours!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:11 PM
JOyog

elenasgrumpy. I have to admit I have been out a couple of times to the park across from my house and the local school to get some eflight in. It is not the same as flying slimers though, I guess the noise grows on you after some time. Today our club, Sacramento Area Modelers, is having war bird racing. I have not flown in those since 2003 and I kind of miss it but I have 4 kids and they are getting expensive so I need to get my fix somehow and that is why the foamies, though they were not cheap to start with. Glad I did some research and got a motor, speed control that is pretty versatile and can work in several airframes.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Rick Delten
A word to the wise, anytime you get a opinion from STLPilot it means he is somehow getting $ and therefore hes biased. He does "independent reviews" for his own products also.
How much do I get for an opinion about you? Drama queen ... how much is that one worth?

Keep going Rick.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Rick Delten

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Rick Delten
How much do I get for an opinion about you? Drama queen ... how much is that one worth?

Keep going Rick.
Say whatever you like about me, I could care less Shill boy
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Nice Giles, very original trim scheme.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Rick Delten

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Nice Giles, very original trim scheme.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 AM
CopperheadAV

Jeff,

Sorry the thread got side tracked! If you want to learn how to 3D larger gas planes, just practice, practice, practice and get your timing down! A foamy is a good substitute for a while, but doesn’t represent the differences in weight and throttle management. I have seen some hot foamy pilots, when they get introduced to a large gasser, have a hell of a time 3D-ing.

Someone suggested Darrel’s Foamtana. I bought one last year from him at SEFF and it’s a great flying plane, I love it!

If you are just learning, and with your current power system, you may want to consider cutting out a blue core. Not pretty, but it’s how I learned. I would make 5 at a time and re-use the Carbon tubes with no financial consequences. There are a few designs that can be made real stiff. PM me and I will dig something out and send if you wish. Airfoil or not, these aren’t bad to learn on and are tough! Everyone wrecks a lot when first learning, so it you buy something, it isn’t going to last long!

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
J Oyog

Tim,

Not a real problem, seems like most of you know each other and are really passionate about your products. I think I have seen the Foamtana at the local hobby shop. If it is the one I am thinking of then is is similar in size to my 3dFoamy Super Xtra (45" W.S.) If not, then can you or send me a PM with a link to the plane.

I am also using the original real flight to suppliment my 3d training. I got a plane from someone here that was made for G2 and I modified it to work with RF. It seems to work pretty good but the physics are lacking. I was thinking of getting a newer sim, either G3 or AFPD but am still researching. I am leaning towards AFPD though.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:18 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

The web site of the Foamtana is www.darrolcady.com. I know everyone thinks you need a plane that will crash well, but his fly so well you can literally recover from your mistakes. After 50 flights the most damage occured when it fell off my workbench and chiped a wingtip. As you mentioned it is a large foamy that floats at about 15oz AUW. 1/2 throttle hovers, and clear precise handling.

I also agree with one of the posts that says, while foamies will teach you 3D, you may have a hard time transitioning to gas. These things fly so well, I think they spoil you. For instance, I can hover the Foamtana for a long time, I have yet to be able to really hover my Katana Mini or Mini Funtana.

So maybe I need to buy planes that fly poorly so I can become a better pilot (not).

Larry
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM
CopperheadAV

There is some truth in that Larry. LOL. I lived in Fort Collins for 4 years...Great Place!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
JOyog

The Foamtana looks like my SuperXtra from 3dFoamy except is is a flat plate wing. I am thinking something with more wing loading will be more or less like a gas/glow 3D plane and maybe the extra weight will help simulate the gas/glow. Only problem I see with being heavy is crash survivablilty. May have to get a plane that is easily repairable. I see some good things about the CH extra but the one bad thing I noticed was the area just in front of the wing seem like it was lacking in foam with the LG block cut out and more of the crash stress from a nose in could result in a break in that area.

On the airfoilz plane it is totally made of depron and should that hit hard may just break apart in pieces. I guess that will depend on where the balsa was inside the fuse. I wood side plates in the engine area look like they will distribute the crash stress. I am not sure how the wing will survive if it were bent. I know there is spar but the rest of the wing is hollow and my crush.

I see a lot of the CH guys posting to this thread but seems hardly any of the airfoilz flyers are posting. Maybe they all live in areas where the weather is good and are out flying...At any rate it would be nice to hear from some of them and also see some more vids of both planes taking some abuse. 3dFoamy had some good crash vids when they were promoting their planes about a year ago.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
CopperheadAV

Here you go [link=http://www.copperheadaviation.com/Video/ExtraStiffy.asp]Video with crashes[/link]
Old 04-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Furyflyer2

ORIGINAL: JOyog
On the airfoilz plane it is totally made of depron and should that hit hard may just break apart in pieces. I guess that will depend on where the balsa was inside the fuse. I wood side plates in the engine area look like they will distribute the crash stress. I am not sure how the wing will survive if it were bent. I know there is spar but the rest of the wing is hollow and my crush.

I see a lot of the CH guys posting to this thread but seems hardly any of the airfoilz flyers are posting. Maybe they all live in areas where the weather is good and are out flying...At any rate it would be nice to hear from some of them and also see some more vids of both planes taking some abuse. 3dFoamy had some good crash vids when they were promoting their planes about a year ago.

Jeff
The airfoilz guys are here-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474540

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5081

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5907

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4100

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...sweet+airfoilz

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502071

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499196

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 AM
JOyog

Thanks for the vid links for the CH and for the post links for the Airfoilz. It took a while but I read through all the links and watched what vids I could link to and get to work. I did not know their were previous posts similar to this one trying to get information on how both of these planes fly. I think they are at the top of their class. Thanks for all who have taken the time to reply to this thread. It would be nice to get both...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I have one of the Airfoilz planes and a friend has one of the Stiffy's... I've flown both... They both fly very well... I would have to rate them as #1 & #2 of the best foamy's I've ever flown... Personally, I like the way the Airfoilz flies a little better than the Stiffy, but that may be my style of flying... It's really a toss-up...

Pros of the Stiffy
It builds a lot faster than the Airfoilz...
It is more durable than the Airfoilz...

Cons of the Stiffy
It's 2 oz heavier...
It cost $20 more than the Airfoilz...
It was a 4" smaller wingspan than the Airfoilz...

If you're still at the stage where you dork foamy's / planes on a regular basis, get the Stiffy... If you don't practive inverted hovers often, get the Airfoilz...

Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
J Oyog

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

I have one of the Airfoilz planes and a friend has one of the Stiffy's... I've flown both... They both fly very well... I would have to rate them as #1 & #2 of the best foamy's I've ever flown... Personally, I like the way the Airfoilz flies a little better than the Stiffy, but that may be my style of flying... It's really a toss-up...

Pros of the Stiffy
It builds a lot faster than the Airfoilz...
It is more durable than the Airfoilz...

Cons of the Stiffy
It's 2 oz heavier...
It cost $20 more than the Airfoilz...
It was a 4" smaller wingspan than the Airfoilz...

If you're still at the stage where you dork foamy's / planes on a regular basis, get the Stiffy... If you don't practive inverted hovers often, get the Airfoilz...

That is the stuff I am looking for...Thanks Torqued-Up for the information. What power set up wad on the Stiffy and on the Airfoilz? I like certain features of both planes. I like the way the servos mount in the Airfoilz and I like the control rods and the fact you don't need extensions. But I like the strength of the snakeskin and the fact the control surfaces are hinged with no airgap. You are right about the build time, seems like the Stiffy would go together faster. Maybe someone will come up with the best of both planes and we will have a new flavor of the month...

Jeff
Old 04-14-2006, 01:50 PM
leblanc

<-QUOTE-> Cool does he live in Canada? I sent 2 planes their and now I have a dealership with great hobbies, they will be selling the planes in their 2 store locations in Canada, so tell your friend THANKS, it must have been him that told Great hobbies about the plane. <-QUOTE->.

You have dealership with great hobbies?!? Ah man I should of know, i order from them at least every 2 weeks for a bunch of different things.
Oh well maybe for my next one...

<-QUOTE-> That is the stuff I am looking for...Thanks Torqued-Up for the information. What power set up wad on the Stiffy and on the Airfoilz? I like certain features of both planes. I like the way the servos mount in the Airfoilz and I like the control rods and the fact you don't need extensions. But I like the strength of the snakeskin and the fact the control surfaces are hinged with no airgap. You are right about the build time, seems like the Stiffy would go together faster. Maybe someone will come up with the best of both planes and we will have a new flavor of the month...

Jeff <-QUOTE->

That might just be me. I have both airfoilz and extra stiffy. Both have their pro's and cons. I personnaly do not prefer one over another. I see it in this way, they have their specialties. My extra stiffy weigh's 19.9oz and my airfoilz 14.3 oz. Both have the hacker motor on it. The stiffy, I have flown some times, but I got some problems with the motor/esc so I won't say anything on the flight performance yet, but very durable, broke the prop on it once, and no damage to the airplane at all! I am also waiting for good wether to go and maiden my airfoilz yak-54. With the supplied hardware, you can make the "airgaps" between the control surfaces very small, I can hardly see through mine. I used 12min epoxy andit's holding it down tight to the controls surfaces well. My extra stiffy did get together a little faster, but there is one thing I do really like on it. Maybe someone here can help me for this. Is that for the ailerons, when I apply full left or right aileron, my servos really struggle staying there, the control surfaces are a little too stiff. And one thing I do not like about the airfoilz, the landing gear and tail weel are weak and missing hardware, I had to use some of my own stuff to do it. The tail skid does not even hold the plane up, just flatenes.

I will post flight reports before monday hopefully if the weather stops being so angry at me...

Until now both are very good and am very aeger to fly them both!!

The stiffy seems to be more for a beginner and the yak for a more experienced pilot. If you're going for really hard core flight that's low and slow, get the stiffy. But if you're more of a person that likes to fly high for the fear of crashing, and always coming for perfect landings, get the yak.

Again, both are very good airplanes, compared to the other airplanes I have built, their both in the top ranks for me, and will get my biseness again soon, both of them.

LeBlanc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.