Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Ryguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Tell you what, if you guys want to settle this dispute, send me one of each planes with servos, ESC, motor, and a receiver on channel 36 Futaba band (don't know off the top of my head if thats positive or negative shift) and I'll give y'all my thoughts on both.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
J Oyog

Thanks Leblanc,

I will be eagerly awaiting your flight report. Try and get some videos while you are at it.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
leblanc

I'm sorry to say that I have no video camera or picture camera.
Sorry. I really hope I can fly these baby's, but today it's been all so gusty.

LeBlanc
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 PM
JOyog

ORIGINAL: leblanc

I'm sorry to say that I have no video camera or picture camera.
Sorry. I really hope I can fly these baby's, but today it's been all so gusty.

LeBlanc
That is okay. I do not really have a video camera either but my digital camera can do short vids. Anyhow I will be looking forward to your flight report. I was hoping to get to fly my 3dFoamy today, got off work early and everything, but it is way too windy to fly. Really sucks.

What kind of flying are you going to do? IMAC or 3D? I would like to know how the vertical pullout from hover is with the Stiffy. Also let me know what power set up you have, batteries, esc, motor.

thanks,
Old 04-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: J Oyog

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

I have one of the Airfoilz planes and a friend has one of the Stiffy's... I've flown both... They both fly very well... I would have to rate them as #1 & #2 of the best foamy's I've ever flown... Personally, I like the way the Airfoilz flies a little better than the Stiffy, but that may be my style of flying... It's really a toss-up...

Pros of the Stiffy
It builds a lot faster than the Airfoilz...
It is more durable than the Airfoilz...

Cons of the Stiffy
It's 2 oz heavier...
It cost $20 more than the Airfoilz...
It was a 4" smaller wingspan than the Airfoilz...

If you're still at the stage where you dork foamy's / planes on a regular basis, get the Stiffy... If you don't practive inverted hovers often, get the Airfoilz...

That is the stuff I am looking for...Thanks Torqued-Up for the information. What power set up wad on the Stiffy and on the Airfoilz? I like certain features of both planes. I like the way the servos mount in the Airfoilz and I like the control rods and the fact you don't need extensions. But I like the strength of the snakeskin and the fact the control surfaces are hinged with no airgap. You are right about the build time, seems like the Stiffy would go together faster. Maybe someone will come up with the best of both planes and we will have a new flavor of the month...

Jeff
Both the Stiffy and the Airfoilz had the same setup... Hacker A20-20L, Phoenix 25 ESC, APC 11X4.7 & TP 1320 Pro Lites...

Old 04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
JOyog

Thanks Torqued. That is similar to what I have except I have an X20 speed control and am running a larger battery, Predator 2200 from Falcon batteries. I was thinking of getting some Pro Lites but not sure if I want the 1320 or the 2100. How much flight time are you getting with the 1320? I get at least 12 min with my 2200 and that is not draining them down all the way. I think I have gone over 15 min and not hit the LVC.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I fly the TP 2100's on a 30 oz foamy & get 12 minutes...

I'm getting 12+ minutes on the TP 1320's... I only burn 1000 mah out of them in 12 minutes... They also have a 20C burst rate...

Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 AM
leblanc

Ok flight report time!!

Just so you guys know, for the past 5 months I have been flying a mini funtana and just having a blast with it. I have managed some stunts that some people here didn't think it was possible with it. But I did manage it from having so much flying experience with it.

Now for the extra stiffy. All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! Maybe add a bit more to that. I am running a hacker A20-20L with PQ 1500 3S, S75's all around except for one aileron (hs-55, one of the s75 was defective). I am also running elev->flap and flaps for takeoffs and landings, it really slows it to a crawl and lands very softly. I have maidened this one first and for having to fly the mini funtana for so much time, it was so much....... FUUNNNNN!!!!! Oh my god, after flying this one the funtana just seemed like it was going to be boring, and well it almost was. With the elev->flaps turned on, I could harrier this thing with no trouble at all, and a lot less throttle that I was using on my MF. Knife edges were just so much fun, and almost no coupling at all!! This thing hovered at about 3/4 throttle, but the way everything was arrenged, my last 3 or 4 cliks of power had a huge difference. Like even though it hovered at 3/4, by putting full power it would just shoot up in the air, not like an arrow like my MF, but still enough to do what I want. It was like if my throttle had expo in it, but it doesn't wierd, but it didn't bother me at all. Landings and take off's are so much fun to do with flaps. Since this was my first time to even try them I was so exited, and well really motivated. Loops and other stunts such as waterfall, blenders ect are awsome to do, especially with the flaps. The loops were so thight that it was within the radius of the plane. Then let's say that I was close to the groud inverted, which I was at many points, you could do full down elevator and it would flop right verted so faster and without stalling. It was so much fun.

Ok now the yak. I have the same power setup on this one, but with TP1320 3s. Again WOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!! and add some to that. Although this one needed a little trimming to get the flaps working right, but after all the trimming was done, I could easily tell that this was going to be fun!! And it was. Knife edge flight is very easy, a lot easier than the extra, since it's 4oz lighter. Almost no rudder was used, just turn it on it's side and there it stayed. The loops with flaps again are so much fun and tight, within the radius of the plane lenght. With the loss of 4 oz on this airplane I could easily tell that it was lighter, I needed less throttle to hover and for straight and level flight. My neck was tired before my battery was fully discharged, so it's plenty of flight time for me ( don't ask about the neck, long story ). All the stunts with it, same performance of the extra, just add some flaps and the plane feels light, so with time, i'll be using flaps all the time, it's too much fun, I can't stop saying that sorry.

But then to compare both of them... god this is the hard part....

The extra: a lot stronger, I feel safer with it since it really strong. I've had a crash with it today, broken prop and S75 servo gear stripped. The airplane is completely intact. If the prop wasn't broken and servo wasn't stripped I would of flown it again. But I couldn't
. But at least there is no repairs to do on it. I like that low maintenance.

The yak: again, just to say both are awsome aircrafts, it's really light, longer flight times, for the more experienced pilot. It's very strong deseign but at the same time very weak. If I would of crashed it like I did with the extra, I would of had to buy myself a refresher kit. But it's too much fun. Unlimited vertical with it, and don't even need full power for that.

Now this is my point of view if you're going to buy any of them

If you are someone that crashes quite often, get the stiffy.

If you're someone that always stay away from the ground because you're affraid that the gravity is going to take it from the sky, get the yak

If you're someone that loves very tight turns without stalls, get the stiffy

If you're someone that loves knife edge flight, get the yak

If youre someone that loves lots of axial control, get the extra

If you're someone that lovesflying light and with power (little more than the extra) get the yak

That's my point of view.

Now if there woul be anything that I would change in the arf's it's this:
extra: a way to make the ailerons not as stiff, maybe but a good fold mark there at the factory, because the servos really stuggle to stay at full deflection, and premarked holes for the servos.

Yak: A instruction manuel that has point forms, having big paragraph's is sometimes confusing. Precut hinge slots. Preapplied decals.

Both are amazing airplanes! And both companies will get my bisness again very soon.

If someone from copperhead can help me with my ailerons, I would be very greatful for that.

Any questions? Just ask

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
J Oyog

Thanks leblanc,

Did you notice how much flight time you got with each plane. Does the Yak seem too light?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
leblanc

It was like a 1 to two min difference. Not much at all. And there is no such thing as an airplane too light, it's just a little squirlier in the wind, but thats not no problem because the uak is so stable.

LeBlanc
Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 PM
hemituda

ANYBODY OUT THERE LOOKING FOR SOME HIGH QUALITY 3D/FOAMIE CONTROL RODS AND HORNS.
i AM STARTING TO MANUFACTURE THESE AND THE QUALITY IS THE BEST AND THE PRICE IS LOW. pLUS YOU CANT BEAT THE OFF THE SHELF AVAILABILITY. lET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. tHANKS kEITH.

p.S. HOPE TO HAVE THEM IN THE HOBBY SHOPS IN ABOUT TWO WEEKS.

[link]http://www.precisiorcproducts.com[/link]
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
flyin_kid

Hey, Well Paul gave me a yak to play with and I like it a lot. I should have some video up by this week. It's been really windy here so I haven't got that many flights on it so I'm still working with the plane getting it set up right. I have a Hacker 20 20, Castle Creations Phoenix 25 esc, Castle Creations Berg 4L receiver, Tanic 1180 Lipo, and E-Flight servos. My yak came it at 15.6 ounces RTF. It flys really good, although it does rock in a harrier some. I have not flown the yak in less that 10 MPH wind yet, mostly 15 - 20 MPH wind, so I don't know how it flys like in a calm day. I have around 70 degrees of throw on the elevator, 45-50 degrees on aileron, and 50-60 on rudder. It can do some crazy stuff !!!! This is a very good flying plane all around!

Jordan
"Woody"
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 AM
JOyog

Jordan,
Noticed you are from CA, where abouts? I am in Sacto and I know what you mean about being windy. I heard this past week was pretty warm and not rainy but I was in Minnesota for work so I missed out on the good clear wheater. I am hoping this weekend will be nice so I can get out and fly. I am still up in the air about both planes...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
flyin_kid

I'm from the way down south... El Centro if you have heard bout it. I'm not sure where Sacto is tho
Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 PM
J Oyog

okay down in San Diego where the weather is always good...It is nice today, the sun finally came out but looks like it is windy. Nice pic on your avatar...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 PM
flyin_kid

Thanks .. thats freestyle really flew good .. its hanging on the wall right now,, maybe ill fly it this weekend
Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
leblanc

Ok guys, I've got new flight report.

I don't have much time to write about it though I've got a test to study for tomorrow....

So, for the extra, i've flown it about 5 times I think... and this is my conclusion for this flight session. Just marvolous flying. Although I think I found the first problem in it, comparing it to the yak. It's when using elev->flap. When I am running high rates with the flaperons in, let's say I do a wall, but the problem is, it does it very well, but you have to release the sticks right at the mili second or else or always rolls left very fast, i'm going to have to fix that with my radio. But asides of that, I also did hover take off's, hehehe very fun to do when some people are just walking by and see that happen, their jaw always drop!! This hovers very easily, even though my skills of hovering aren't polished yet, the plane makes me look like a exellent pilot, but then i'm only an intermiediate, or at least I consider myself.

And for the yak. Well I've only gotten one flight on it because, at my deadstick landing was a little hard and my motor came off. But thats not because the plane is bad or anything, it's that the screws that I have put to hold down the engine were a little iffy, so now i've got nice big ones in, so thats is that problem fixed. Ok, asides of that, I had 8 minutes of quite hard 3D, then when I was doing a waterfall at full throttle is when my battery cut-off. Doing a wall with this one if so much fun, I think it's my favorite stunt with this one, it makes them so sharp and crisp. Very nice. Although since this model is a little more fragile, I am waiting to get the feel of it before hovering with it, so i'll come in on that when I will.

Ok, thats what I have to say for now, I gtg study now

I am interested to have an input of both distributors, I am wondering what you guys are thinking

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 PM
aerofundan

Leblanc, my best recomendation would be to stop using the flap mix you are using... for walls its better to not use any mixes! heres how i like to do walls,

First i get the plane to a decent speed, and then i cut throttle and pull full up elevator, after you get the plane vertical you stop applying elevator and start applying some throttle to keep it in a hover if you like
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
leblanc

I am wondering if you guys still want some more flight reports, 'im not seeing too much enthousiasm here or even interest. I am wondering if I should post my next flight report.

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Post it here their is a lot more traffic- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...46#post5391425
Old 04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: CopperheadAV

Here you go [link=http://www.copperheadaviation.com/Video/ExtraStiffy.asp]Video with crashes[/link]

C'mon, Ya call that a crash video? You guys fly so good you've forgotten how to crash.LOL Too bad I don't have a video cam, I could show ya a thing or two about planting lawn darts!! Your crashes looked like some of my better landings.[X(]
Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Here is a video for you all http://www.3dxhobbies.com/videos/AFZ.wmv
Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
prodigy467

Cons of the Stiffy
It cost $20 more than the Airfoilz...
well it terms of availability and price... the airfoilz are $50 bucks cheaper (gotta add the receiver to the airfoilz to make the kit equal to the stiffy) ..someone call me out if I did that math wrong...the price may have changed since you posted that.

and i tried to add a stiffy to my cart and they are all backorder

Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
J Oyog

according to the copperhead site the stiffy is $79.99 but I am not sure if that is with the $10.00 off that is advertised on the first page. If it does not then it is the same price as the aifoilz price, $69.99. Both prices are for the airframe only.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM
prodigy467

oh good call..i was looking at their package deals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.