Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
CopperheadAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone compare copperhead vs. airfoilz

The Extras are back in stock!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
JOyog

thank you, Tim
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 PM
leblanc

Hey guys, Sorry still no video yet, but I've gotten a chance to get a few pictures of my fleet and the extra stiffy and Airfoilz yak.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90347.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	470172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60370.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	470173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63238.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	470174  
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
JOyog

cool fleet. I was wanting to build one up like that. Why the balsa on the trailing edges of the stiffy? Does it need it for some reason? Also noticed some added carbon on the tail also. Is this the weak spot on the plane? Does the stiffy have any structural carbon in the fuse and in the wings? I have seen a lot of new vids of the airfoilz planes but not many more of the stiffy planes other than what the dominguez brothers put out. Are there anymore vids of the stiffy planes?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 AM
leblanc

thanks JOyog,

For the carbon in the tail, thats how it comes with the model. But for the elevator and rudder, I personnaly wanted more power in both of them especially the rudder!! For example when I am in a hover, and trying to stay in it sometimes, I need FULL rudder deflection with more power to get it straightened out. So that is going to help out alot. But for the elevators I probably didn't need that much, but what the hey, I had the wood and time. And also the extra is more for IMAC I think, if memory is correct, and the yak more for 3D. I should of gotten the yak because it's more of my style of flying that I like to do. I'll give a flight report with the extended rudder and elevator when I will be able to fly. I haven't flown in 3 weeks and everyday that I work, it's a bright warm sunny day, with no wind and when I am off, it's raining... The weather gods must be angry at me for some reasons... LOL. But the weather forecast says that it's going to clear up next week, so we'll see then.

LeBlanc
Old 06-02-2006, 12:51 AM
JOyog

I hear you about the weather...always nice when you are doing things other than flying and right when you get any thoughts about flying the wind kicks up and the weather goes to crap. I will be looking forward to the flight reviews with the added balsa.

thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: leblanc

thanks JOyog,

For the carbon in the tail, thats how it comes with the model. But for the elevator and rudder, I personnaly wanted more power in both of them especially the rudder!! For example when I am in a hover, and trying to stay in it sometimes, I need FULL rudder deflection with more power to get it straightened out. So that is going to help out alot. But for the elevators I probably didn't need that much, but what the hey, I had the wood and time. And also the extra is more for IMAC I think, if memory is correct, and the yak more for 3D. I should of gotten the yak because it's more of my style of flying that I like to do. I'll give a flight report with the extended rudder and elevator when I will be able to fly. I haven't flown in 3 weeks and everyday that I work, it's a bright warm sunny day, with no wind and when I am off, it's raining... The weather gods must be angry at me for some reasons... LOL. But the weather forecast says that it's going to clear up next week, so we'll see then.

LeBlanc

Good Idea Leblanc,

We now have counter balances on the Extra tailfeathers and it accomplishes exactly what you did. We now feel both planes have the same abilities and it's just a matter of design preference.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

GOOD NEWS if you live in the UK, we now have a exclusive dealer for Airfoilz, more detail to come!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Lammy1000

How do these foamies with shaped symetrical wings compare to balsa models such as the Stevens Stella? I have the itch for a new plane.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Furyflyer2

The airfoilz planes fly like big planes see what many other people say here- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=8#post5564949 . Here is a great video as well, he normally flies 40% Cardens- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v0Q6h4sD4k
Old 06-03-2006, 07:37 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

The AirfoilZ fly’s much better than any plane in their class for several reasons. Reason one is the wing loading is very low this allows for a greater power to weight ratio than other models in this class. Other models that are as durable but weigh more and the flying characteristics suffer because of this. For two the balsa planes that I have flown in this class that have as low as wing loading as the AirfoilZ are two fragile they cannot take the abuse the AirfoilZ can with out having to get the glue out to fix them. Three the AirfolZ has 0 flex in the plane this allows for flying characteristics like much larger planes. What AirfoilZ has done with there design is incorporate all the good attributes that other planes have in there class in rolled it into one package. This makes for the best plane on the market in there class.

Here are my videos Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DXHM4ta3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXHe_WQth4
Old 06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
CopperheadAV

Mike,

Do you own one of my planes???
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Get the Airfoilz planes, my review of the Airfoilz Edge will be posted on RCU any day, just waiting for them to post it.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 PM
leblanc

Alllllllright guys,

I've got lots of flying today, with a little bit of wind. But you know flying is right next to an addiction! lol.

For my first flight with my extra and the added wood, I did notice the added weight, bummer [] , but I've made a modification on it, and now is even lighter than it was before. I'll try to get pictures of it later. But for now, I've taken lots of foam off the fuse, like a "V" going inside the fuse. And also for the motor mount, I could cut off lots of the wood that's just sitting there, and last, for my receiver, i've dug a hole in the fuse and put the receiver in it, now it's lighter with less drag. Also looks alot better.

Ok, so for my flights, the extra is now just the way I like it. Just enough rudder to do what I want to do, quite well. My hovering skills with now have grown a lot and am looking forward to fly it again. Hovers now were just over 1/2 throttle and had good punch out of a hover. Over all a lot better performance. I think also, that I will make the V in the fuse bigger for more "lost" weight. I did crash once, not very hard, but even with all that foam gone, it lasted it just as well as before, so thats why I am going to take more off. As you can tell, I am very picky about weight.

I've also changed my cg. Don't know exactly where but now it's just a tad nose heavy. I am looking for hands off inverted flight.

And for the yak. I've done the same thing with the receiver in the fuse, looks cleaner and is lighter. And now that I was ready, I also changed my cg to 4.25 back, and do think that 4.5 is needed for hands off inverted.

But overall these planes are getting better and better! I am now a LOT more happy with my extra, puts a grin on my face.

And last, for my problem with my ailerons, I've found a way to fix, perfectly. Exercicing them didn't help at all, so what I did was take the aileron flop it over and sand all over thehinge points. Their holding there with no force at all. Full deflection and my servos make no noise whatsoever!!

Everything is just getting better and better!!

More to come!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM
JOyog

Leblanc,

Do you have any pictures of your modifications to the extra and the yak? I would like to see them. How much weight did you shave off the extra and what is you new AUW?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM
leblanc

Here we go, hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81957.jpg
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	479990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72534.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	479991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91330.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	479992  
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 AM
JOyog

thanks leblanc,

Does the v groove go all the way around the fuse? Also what receiver are you using in the the extra? Looks like it is really small. Do you have the weight savings from all the carving?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 AM
leblanc

jOyog,

Yes the V grouve does go all around the sure exept for where the motor and landing gear is. There I leave it because there is more stress than the rest. My receiver in the extra is a GWS 6 ch receiver. It's pretty crappy, it glitches a lot and am going to get a hitec 666 to replace it inside the extra because I am planning to fly the extra for a long time to come, and don't want to have too many crashes because of glitches. And no I don't have the AUW of the carvings... I was hoping to have my scale out, but we are in the middle of moving and it's already packed. But I can tell you that, I did feel that there was more power out of a hover. Not just a crawl out of a hover, just like it was after the added wood, but better pull out than it had without the wood, so I have saved more weight than the added wood.

Wish I could more of a help with my explanations. But I hope this helps a little. Overall taking that portion of foam off, I did notice hovers were at a lower throttle than it was at first.

LeBlanc
Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 AM
flyin_kid

My castle creations 4L berg receiver works really good and it is super light..
www.casltecreations.com
Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 PM
JOyog

Let me know what you guys think about this reasoning....
If one were wanting to get into full fuse electrics like the Fliton Mini's it would be best to get the Stiffy since its weight is similar to the Fliton planes.

If one were wanting the best flying foamy in the sub 20oz. weight class then the Airfoilz would be the best.

I have kind or grown to hate depron as it is pretty fragile even with carbon reinforcements. My 3dFoamy Super Xtra taught me a lot but I want to move on to something that is made of wood. I do not like repairing the depron. Only problem with going with wood is you may only get one or two mild ground strikes and the plane would be toast.

There have been some really good videos of the the Airfoilz planes lately but I have not seen too many of the Copperhead Stiffies other than what the Domingues brothers have put out. Oh and there was the high wind flying for the promo of the stiffy but I feel that was not an accurate account of the plane due to the high wind.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Furyflyer2

Here is another Yosten video! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjawXX0VKU
Old 06-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Scat-R-D

Sorry Mike but you are mistaken that it's the best in it's class, that title would belong to the FoMoJo from the mind of Paul Swanson..
http://www.billyhellrc.com/fomojo.html

ORIGINAL: mikeygp

<snip> Yap, yap,yap..<snip> This makes for the best plane on the market in there class.

<snip>
Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
novabill

Scat-R-D,

That is one sweet bird . The best thing about planes under $100 is that you can own more of them than with the big stuff. We do alot of flying in the back yard where space is tight and I love a 13oz flat plate foamy for tossing around and trimming the trees. Usually, I like to make my own, but I love the MOJO trim scheme and would buy it just for that.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: JOyog

Let me know what you guys think about this reasoning....
If one were wanting to get into full fuse electrics like the Fliton Mini's it would be best to get the Stiffy since its weight is similar to the Fliton planes.

If one were wanting the best flying foamy in the sub 20oz. weight class then the Airfoilz would be the best.

I have kind or grown to hate depron as it is pretty fragile even with carbon reinforcements. My 3dFoamy Super Xtra taught me a lot but I want to move on to something that is made of wood. I do not like repairing the depron. Only problem with going with wood is you may only get one or two mild ground strikes and the plane would be toast.

There have been some really good videos of the the Airfoilz planes lately but I have not seen too many of the Copperhead Stiffies other than what the Domingues brothers have put out. Oh and there was the high wind flying for the promo of the stiffy but I feel that was not an accurate account of the plane due to the high wind.
I can try to whip you up a video this week. I'm not the caliber of Yosten, or Dominguez, but it'll be something new. I wonder if Daniel Dominguez even knows how to use a video cam because he's the only one I have to shoot the vid. LOL, just kidding Daniel.

To be honest with you, we have slacked on the vids because we have been investing tons of time with our engine development program. It's amazing how long it takes me to build these 28% planes just to test motors.

As far as what you said at the beginning of your post about how to chose between the two? I think you prolly made more sense than you realize. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
wildjaych

wow, finally got my extra stiffy together and flew it for the 1st time yesterday. really cool plane works really good with eflite 450 outrunner. maybe I will move up to hacker soon (if its more power???? can someone tell me? a friend said would be about the same as 450?) my buddy is running a eflite 480 outrunner and thinks its too much motor. i thought it worked fine too.

The only thing i dont like is the way the wheels are mounted to the wire gear. I will have to figure out a better way. the clips mostly broke when I installed them so they didnt last 3 landings... not a big deal though should be an easy fix.

weight came in right at 19.5-20.0 ozs. with maxamps.com 3s 1500mah battery but i forgot to weigh with landing gear so i guess add an ounce or so. I am really impressed with how easy it flew.
this is only my 3rd plane( slow stick and stryker) so i will do a lot of learning with this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.